Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 09 Nov 2017
  • My neighbor, who is a senior and not in the best of health (high blood pressure, bad heart, water retention) has been told to cut back the salt that includes brining a turkey with salt.  So I said I would see what I could come up.  So I am going to the experts as I know I can not be the only one with this challenge so I am wondering what is the best brine that does not include salt that I can recommend to them.

thanks
  • #2 by bregent on 09 Nov 2017
  • What are you actually trying to achieve with the brine? If it's moisture retention, then salt is the only think I know that helps. Sodium phosphate might work, but that's also got sodium. If you're trying to infuse flavors, you're better off injecting. Most flavors added to a brine will not migrate far into the meat.
  • #3 by Old Smokey on 10 Nov 2017
  • You might try injecting it with a butter/herb mixture in lieu of brining.
  • #4 by Bentley on 10 Nov 2017
  • No such thing! 

And depending on what his % intake is supposed to be, he probably does not want to eat one that has been enhanced.  Also depending on what he can have, he might be able to have a fresh turkey and brine it...just to many variables I don't know to offer advice.  Like I said, a brine is salt, it is that simple.

If it is a matter of flavor as others have mentioned, you will have many that will be able to help you!

...with this challenge so I am wondering what is the best brine that does not include salt that I can recommend to them.
  • #5 by urnmor on 10 Nov 2017
  • My thanks to all.  I recommended that they get to turkeys and brine and not the other.
Pages:
Actions