Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Detroit Style Pizza?  (Read 5784 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: What is Detroit Style Pizza?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »

I am going to try a Detroit right now.  It is Pillsbury dough, laugh if you want, but it is what I have.  I am told to roll out and bake for 8 mins.  That is being done now.  I am here to now see how the Detroit is put together...I realize this is not correct sequence, but it is how I will do my 1st one. correct?  And I do not have this pan you speak of, so baking tray...

Dough
garlic & EVOO
toppings
cheese
Red sauce (I will not be saucing after it comes) 2 stripes...

OK, here I go!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »

I think this is gonna be a Mayberry style, but we will see.  It is all about taste correct?

Is there a big Greek community in Detroit?

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »

The odor?
It's the onions, FMT
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »

The Mayberry style is really nothing to write home about...and I have determined I can no longer do any red sauces on Pizza, just can't seem to handle even a little of it!

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »

I guess garlic sauce it is?
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »

Ohh, and I am ready for Chili dogs in any city with any member at any time I do not care what the place smells like or what I do afterwards!  I Love Chili Dogs w/onions...you all can have the cheese!

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »

The odor?
It's the onions, FMT

Onions as well as about 75 years of grease from the chili.

Do you have a sliced pic of your pizza Trooper? That would help assess what's going on with the dough.

Other questions would be how much flour, and how much water?
What's the process. One rise? Two rise?  Overnight? Same day?

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »

I'll try to get a slice foto on tomorrow
I weigh all my ingredients, especially when "doughing".
10.5oz.  bread flour, 7.6 oz. water, 1 tsp.instant rise,  1 1/2 tsp. salt.
Kneaded with mixer. Dough was fairly slack and sticking to bottom of mixer.
2 hr rise - no knockdown. Spread it out in pan & went to pit a half hr. or so later.

OK FMT, here we go. I have a leftover slice I can photo
Here is the bottom of the slices.

Here are come cross sections.

OK now maybe I'm being a little cuckoo. But so be it.I just think the texture of the crust wasn't what I'm accustomed to. Too firm and a too tough to suit me. What do you think about next time, after I spread the dough out to the edges in the pan. (took me about 2-3 sessions) I then let it rest and rise a tad in the pan before applying the toppings and cheese?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:39:57 PM by Trooper »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »

I'll try to get a slice foto on tomorrow
I weigh all my ingredients, especially when "doughing".
10.5oz.  bread flour, 7.6 oz. water, 1 tsp.instant rise,  1 1/2 tsp. salt.
Kneaded with mixer. Dough was fairly slack and sticking to bottom of mixer.
2 hr rise - no knockdown. Spread it out in pan & went to pit a half hr. or so later.

Still show me a slice, but I'll throw out a few things. Your pizza will always be better if you make the dough at least the day before. Possibly a few days. Use less and less yeast if you are planning 2,3, or 4 days out. Your ratios look pretty good for same day dough.

The biggest improvment I made when I was starting was an autolyse step. Add your water, yeast, salt,etc to the mixing bowl. Add about half the flour. Mix until smooth and shiny. It will look like thick pancake batter at this point. Let it sit for 20 minutes at that point. The flour is sucking up all the water, and will make for a softer more manageable dough. Then add the rest of the flour in small increments mixing until smooth and shiny between each addition.

In your cook tonight the 2 hour rise was fine, but the pan rise was probably too short. After that first half hour in the pan, I would have pressed it out to the edges of the pan again, and let it rise another hour. You would have been surprised how easily it would have manipulated at that point.  If your dough is tough, let time do the work. Time fixes alot of problems with dough.

Did you oil the pan at all? Most Detroit pizzas have quite a bit of oil under the dough to kind of fry the crust, and get that crispy bottom. Also, many have some oil in the dough, but it's not necessarily crucial.

Yeast amount really doesn't matter as long as your timing is right. The less the better really, as long as you give it time. If you sprinkle 10 granules of yeast in the water it will do the exact same thing to the dough as a tsp, but it may take 24 hours. It's a more controlled rise, and flavors develop over that time.

Next time try a quarter tsp of yeast. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Doesn't have to be exact. It will rise overnight in fridge. Next day, let it warm up a bit at room temp. Punch it down, and into your pan. Don't try to hit the edges of pan yet. Let rise room temp for an hour or two. Then press out to edges of pan.

You have 2 options at this point. Another room temp rise until you are ready to top and cook, or throw it in the fridge again oiled and covered in plastic. Next day, let it come to room temp for an hour or so, and cook that sucker.

The rising stage of pizza is just as much a product of time and temperature as the cooking stage is. Your yeast amount and whether the dough is at room temp or fridge temp allows you to make it work on your schedule instead of the other way around. Use less yeast, take your time, do it in a matter of days not hours. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:22:15 AM by Free Mr. Tony »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »

I was already planning on making pizza this weekend,  so I have some examples. I made my dough Friday night with very little yeast. I let the whole ball rise overnight in fridge. Saturday afternoon I took it out of the fridge, and let the bowl sit in my pantry for an hour or so to take the chill off.

I flattened it out then cut into 3 different amounts. One Detroit at 450 grams, one for my wife at 275 grams, and one for the kids to share at 325 grams. Pressed the Detroit into the pan, and balled up the other two. Back into fridge.

So this is how they look on this Sunday morning. See how the Detroit is not even close to the edges yet? I'll leave that one out earlier than the other 2 when ready to bake. I will press it to the edges, then let it rise one more time. The dough balls have a nice smooth top without any crazy bubbles because of the low yeast rise, but they have a great amount of activity underneath. They are looking pretty good, and I can use these whenever I'm ready today.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »

Bentley, you would probably need to stack 2 or 3 tubes of the Pillsbury stuff to get to Detroit thickness.  But maybe Mayberry style will be the next big thing.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »

FMT,
Back up and see that I added photos by modifying last nights posting.
Then after adding the pics, I noticed that you've already given me a good reply with some workable solutions, so you don't need to reply to that issue.
On final question/comment.
My dough was fairly slack. Sticking to the center/bottom of the mixing bowl. Do you have this issue when mixing, or is your dough in a more consistent and workable ball?

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »

FMT,
Back up and see that I added photos by modifying last nights posting.
Then after adding the pics, I noticed that you've already given me a good reply with some workable solutions, so you don't need to reply to that issue.
On final question/comment.
My dough was fairly slack. Sticking to the center/bottom of the mixing bowl. Do you have this issue when mixing, or is your dough in a more consistent and workable ball?

Your flour to water ratio puts your hydration level at 72%, which is pretty typical for most Detroit recipes You See online. The dough will be pretty wet and harder to deal with at that hydration level. I don't think that is really your issue, however you could decrease the hydration to about 62% and still get good results with a little more easily managable dough.

I typically do mine at 62%, but that is only because I'm making more than one type of pizza with the same dough batch.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »

Yeah, Detroit looks like it is going to be much like Sicilian in the amount of "bread" with the pie, and much like what I call thick Crust pizza, not for me.  I want very little "bread" with my pizza!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »

Yeah, Detroit looks like it is going to be much like Sicilian in the amount of "bread" with the pie, and much like what I call thick Crust pizza, not for me.  I want very little "bread" with my pizza!

Then you would not like grama's pizza either.

Sweeter tomato sauce with fresh basil and lotsa garlic
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up