Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Detroit Style Pizza?  (Read 5778 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: What is Detroit Style Pizza?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »

But see to me, that looks half the height of Troopers!  That does look more Sicilian (or at least what I consider it)...I have only had it once and it was in Burbank, at the actor Joe Mantegna's place...Taste Chicago!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2017, 02:45:15 PM »

OK pizza/pellet/fans - one more issue & I'm done til next time.

The initial hunk of Wisconsin brick cheese weighed out at about 48 oz. and I have about half of it left.
I had to cut out a few knots out of the 12 oz. piece. Aging right in the frig.

So the remaining 2 pieces - each about 12 oz. have to be wrapped and frozen.

I'm hoping that the consistency & flavoring won't change much by freezing. Hey, I'm not making a deli sammy with the stuff.
Hopefully it will be OK for use nicely melted on the next Detroit Style Pizza.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:10:21 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »

Yeah, Detroit looks like it is going to be much like Sicilian in the amount of "bread" with the pie, and much like what I call thick Crust pizza, not for me.  I want very little "bread" with my pizza!

Then you would not like grama's pizza either.

Sweeter tomato sauce with fresh basil and lotsa garlic

That slice looks fantastic! Did you make that?

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »

Coney dogs and Jackson Michigan... some say the coney originated in Jackson Michigan,  my home town. Todoroff's..  right near the jackson train station...

I was born in Jackson,  never had a coney until I was about 20 years old, and have to this day haven't had one in Jackson.  Drove past what is supposed to be the original many times... the closest I've ever come to being at the place,  is a gentleman's club a few doors down.. (back in my drinking days).

I have ate at each of the Detroit coney places that claim to be the original... I see coney dogs as great quick food when you don't know where else to eat, or don't want to spend too much money.

Back to Jackson... the best Pizza on the planet is at Andy's Pizza... a one time part owner of the coney place, started his own resaurant in the early 70s, I hear they make great coneys,  but I can only vouch for the pizza... Andy's Special... aka #26,  ham, pepperoni,  bacon,  mushrooms,  green peppers,  and onions...  fantastic pizza. The only 14 inch pizza which makes me feel full after just two slices (but I still eat a third one ).
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Queball

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »

So what is Salisbury, "Merryland" style pizza like ..... ?
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »

FMT, I did not make that slice.  I have yet to venture into the make my own pizza from scratch world.  That slice was from a pizza shop a few miles from my house.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »

Queball, not sure what the style would be but it sure looks delicious.

Queball

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »

Thanks! ... Beginner's luck. ... Talking about regional styles. How does the type of dough factor into all of this?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »

I think I would enjoy the Salisbury style!

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »

Mmm... that Salisbury style looks fantastic.  I surely will try to find a way to incorporate some of that into some pizza sooner or later. 

As for dough...   This is my theory on dough and 'styles'...    I suspect much of it was pure accident.   Today , some of us go to a lot of trouble to reproduce something that we've had somewhere,  we may spend a lot of time trying to figure out exactly how they do things...  But, I think at some point, the owners of pizza joints were just doing the best they could with what they had.   Limited cooler space, probably required some pizza places to come up with pizza dough that didn't require much cooler space....  or who knows what collection of environmental variables led to your favorite pizza maker's dough.

I know this guy who's family has been selling pizza in New Jersey for 40 years... he shared the pizza crust formula with me... it was way different then anyone had ever told me... except for one thing...  the way he told it...   There were no ultra fine measurements of ingredients...  50 pounds of All trumps, 3 gallons of water, cup of sugar... ( not the exact formula, but not too far off )...   When I questioned some things.. he say... Oh, I'll have to ask my dad...  Not that he himself wasn't knowledgeable about things, but his dad new more.. and well... from what I could gather, his dad surely had to have worked at someone else's pizza place , and probably learned from some other old guy.    My point... I think stuff gets handed down, not by some ultra secret or precise method of transferring the information, but just by word of mouth and/or watching.   I still suspect that for any given 'style' , it originally was just the way they did things.. I doubt that anyone ever sat down and spent hours and hours tweaking the formula to get it just right... that probably evolved to the point where it worked, and then didn't stop doing it that way , once it worked well for them.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

j-bo

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

Man.. saw the title of this thread and since I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, I had to look.

I never knew there was a Detroit style...when I grew up, it was all about Mike and Sylvias in Allen Park, MI(which is only Sylvia's Sub Shop now). Their pizza and subs are the best ever and I crave it and hit them up EVERY day that I'm there visiting.

Theirs is Sicilian, but check out the photo of that pizza! Yummy! The pepperonis are what makes it to me. I wonder how you can ship unbaked pizza? Have to look into that and have some shipped to me now!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »

I Love to hear personal Food histories...Thanks for sharing!  This story is my Me n Ed's...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up