Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Mar 2018
  • So last night was the Culpeper Fire Dept Banquet (our sister station) which the BSVFD always cooks for.  They celebrated 93 years of being a volunteer fire dept for the county -- one member received his 50 year pin and one gentleman we talked with has been a member since 1957!!  Still proudly wearing his uniform.  Being a volunteer must be good for your health!!!

Luckily we only had to be part of the dish washing crew, although Bent did have to haul equipment with the trailer and so has to go back today and get this stuff and take to the fire house kitchen.  So on to the last cook for March that we are in charge of -- in fact, the last cook in March for the Auxiliary -- a dinner for 175 on Thursday, March 22.  Roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, candied carrots, rolls, dessert and drinks.

We are cooking National Beef eye of round that we got at RD -- 100 lbs.  I think he wants to cook today, I say wait until tomorrow, but he is doing the cooking so it is his call.  I will try and remember to take some photos.
  • #2 by riverrat49 on 18 Mar 2018
  • Sounds like fun  :rotf:
  • #3 by Mudflap on 18 Mar 2018
  • Great job you all do for your local fire departments. :clap: I need to look into how/if there is a way I could cook some food for my local volunteer fire department. My youngest son just finished his training. They had there banquet last night. He also went to the 27th Annual SCOTT Firefighter Stair climb on  March 11, 2018. The world's largest on-air stair climb competition. He was climbing for his college roommates son that lost the fight.

Mudflap
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Mar 2018
  • First batch on the Memphis Pro

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by yorkdude on 18 Mar 2018
  • Neat deal you two do for them, I betcha they never had it this good!
  • #6 by Canadian John on 18 Mar 2018

•  That Memphis Pro sure is a work horse!  Volunteering is good for the soul!  :D
  • #7 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • I know the folks at Hearthland, LLC probably hate me when I post stuff like this!  I do have direct grilling!

But 8 years of this and no problems...What can I say!

• #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Mar 2018
  • was that fire intentional for searing or is it a grease fire?
  • #9 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • It was not intentional, but I was sure going to take advantage of it!  I did not trim this second 50 pounds like I did the 1st, so more grease then I thought!  I guess I should be concerned, but this ain't the 1st one in 8 years of use...And Luther just seems to keep chugging along!
  • #10 by Canadian John on 18 Mar 2018
  •  That explains the association with the fire department.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Mar 2018
  •  
    That explains the association with the fire department.

:rotf:
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Mar 2018
  • Most amazing thing?  Right up against the house and no smoke, no char, no damage.
  • #13 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • Once again, just cuz it can go to 650°, we learn what?  Nothing it appears...550° would have been quite sufficient...But I do not seem to learn quickly!
  • #14 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • Now that is a good one!    :pig:

All done, final 6 just pulled at 130°...Will rest an hour, plastic wrap and in fridge!

That explains the association with the fire department.
  • #15 by rwalters on 18 Mar 2018
  • I know the folks at Hearthland, LLC probably hate me when I post stuff like this!  I do have direct grilling!

But 8 years of this and no problems...What can I say!

WOW! What temp were you cooking at when the grease lit like that?
Pages:
Actions