Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • Every once in awhile I think, does hardwood cooking really make a difference, can you really taste any difference between it and electric or gas stove?

Then I see a photo of 6 pieces of meat cooked with 100% Hardwood and 3 in an electric oven, they have been seasoned the same, cooked the same amount of time at the same temperature!  I then taste each and I say...Why yes, yes there is!

• #17 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • 650°...
  • #18 by rwalters on 18 Mar 2018
  • 650°...
    Well, that’ll do it... lol. I thought your 650° days were over?
  • #19 by rwalters on 18 Mar 2018
  • Every once in awhile I think, does hardwood cooking really make a difference, can you really taste any difference between it and electric or gas stove?

Then I see a photo of 6 pieces of meat cooked with 100% Hardwood and 3 in an electric oven, they have been seasoned the same, cooked the same amount of time at the same temperature!  I then taste each and I say...Why yes, yes there is!

Yep, fire = flavor... and when wood is fueling that fire it means even more/better flavor :)

Nicely done!
  • #20 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • See reply #14 for answer!
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Mar 2018
  • I don't recall eating anything off of a pellet grill and ever saying that it is better when cooked in the oven.
  • #22 by rwalters on 18 Mar 2018
  • See reply #14 for answer!
    Oops... but I think you mean #15 ;)

Yeah, any grill I’ve ever had that was capable of 650+ was always a challenge to cook on when running at that high of a temp. But man, does 650°+ ever lay down a quick and beautiful sear on beef!!!
  • #23 by glitchy on 18 Mar 2018
  • I don't recall eating anything off of a pellet grill and ever saying that it is better when cooked in the oven.

For sure, I started thinking this way the first time I threw a cheap frozen pizza on the pellet pooper and thought to myself this doesn't taste that bad.
  • #24 by mrp116 on 18 Mar 2018
  • Nice cook.  That's a feast for sure.

Culpeper and BS, we're practically neighbors.  I'm out behind the WalMart off Rt 3 by LOW.  When I'm in town, I usually stop at Shawn's.  What's your take on that place?
  • #25 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Mar 2018
  • Nice cook.  That's a feast for sure.

Culpeper and BS, we're practically neighbors.  I'm out behind the WalMart off Rt 3 by LOW.  When I'm in town, I usually stop at Shawn's.  What's your take on that place?

We did a review of it 4 years ago.  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6.msg7#msg7

Have not been back because we don't really go to bbq places, but I assume it is unchanged since same guy still owns it.
  • #26 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Mar 2018
  • Well, finally done with the March cooks for the Auxillary. I think we only have one in April and 2 more in May.  We had 178 guests last night, plus fed 12 in the Aux working in the kitchen and 8 FD duty crew.

Note to self about healthy young men: the dinner was mainly an older (not old!) crowd, say 45 to 65.   We noted that one pan of mashed potatoes served 45 people.  The Aux is primarily women, so we put out a new pan of mashed potatoes and I think "Oh, I will have some left overs for bingo on Saturday".  Duty crew comes through with 4-6 young men 18-30 out of the 8.  Whole pan of mashed potatoes is wiped clean.
  • #27 by Goosehunter51 on 23 Mar 2018
  • Great thread, now where is that like button?

Pages:
Actions