Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bull vs. Stampede  (Read 6665 times)

ShannyBananny

• Using less gas.
Bull vs. Stampede
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »

Last weekend, we were lured into buying a Traeger Texas Elite 34 at our local Costco by the great price.  After thinking about it (way too much), we are returning it tonight and going to buy another Rec Tec.  We own a Mini and love it.  It will stay at our house and we are looking for a larger smoker to keep at our camping lot.

Now we need to decide if we are going to buy the Bull or the Stampede.  We are usually smoking for four people but also need to be able to feed larger groups.  We also want to be able to bake a large or family size Papa Murphy's pizza (don't laugh) which I assume will fit in both of these smokers.  In comparing sizes, it looks like the Stampede is a little smaller than the Traeger and the Bull is a little bigger than the Traeger.  I think the Stampede will be big enough for our needs but not sure if we want to wait until May.

Is there a downside to the smoker being too big besides using more pellets?  It's really hard to get a good feel for how large the Stampede is because the online video only shows a person next to it for a couple seconds.
Rec Tec 700 Bull (ordered)
Rec Tec 300 Mini

Hoosier Daddy

• Using less gas.
Re: Bull vs. Stampede
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »

Welcome, I have an RT680 which is last years version of the Bull.  We are empty nesters so it's just my wife and I.....and I have never once regretted buying too big of grill.  Sure all the space is not utilized most of the time but it cooks the same as your mini which is wonderfully.  It is nice to have the room to smoke a full packer brisket w/sides and not have to cram it in there.  It is also nice to be able to cook/smoke many racks of ribs at one time when company comes over.   I've done several 20+ hour cooks and really like the 40lb hopper.

My vote is get the Bull,
Dan
Rec Tec 680 Weber 26" Kettle WSM

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »

RecTec's website has a picture of the interior dimensions.  I can fit two large Papa Murphy's in my RT680.

I could go both ways.  Yes it's nice to have a larger smoker but 90% of the time I never utilize the entire space with a family of 4.  You can also add a 2nd shelf to the Stampede.  I think the 30lb hopper is large enough for overnight cooks, the 40lb hopper on the 680 is overkill IMO.

Stampede is 592 sq inches. 
Bull is 702 sq inches.

You can check out more videos on their Facebook page.

One other downside to a larger smoker is longer startup and recovery time.

If money isn't an issue buy the bigger one.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

ShannyBananny

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!  Returned the Traeger last night.  Seems like the Bull may be the way to go.  Just checked with Rec Tec about a front shelf for the Stampede.  The shelf won't be out until summer of 2019.  ???  Still considering the Stampede due to price but the Bull is looking better and better.
Rec Tec 300 Mini

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »

I called them to ask about differences between the two...   the things besides size that stood out..

1)  The front shelf isn't yet available for the stampede and won't for awhile
2)  No light on the inside of the stampede
3)  Since the exhaust is different you won't be able to attach a smoke/warming box
4)  Warranty length

Ross77

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:44:47 PM »

If you don’t constantly clean the light it is nearly worthless IMO. I never use it.

Also, the cold smoker attachment isn’t a true cold smoker. From what I’ve read it doesn’t really get cold enough.

The longer warranty is a definite plus for the Bull.

ShannyBananny

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »

I forgot about the difference in the warranties.  Thank you for reminding me!  No front shelf for the Stampede until 2019 is a bummer.  I don't understand why it would take so long to offer one but then again, I know nothing about the manufacturing process.

I'll be ordering the Bull tonight.  Didn't want to have to fork out that much dough but it's better to do it now than have regrets later.  You have all been helpful!
Rec Tec 300 Mini

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »

Congrats on your decision SB. Get it ordered and don't look back. Sounds like you were leaning to the longer warranty, the front shelf and having some additional real estate when needed. The  ill should fit that bill nicely.

ShannyBananny

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »

The deed is done.  :cool:  Now the waiting begins...
Rec Tec 300 Mini

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »

man... my van had a visit to the mechanic... might have to wait until my purchase..:(

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »

Time to order myself a Stampede! 

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 11:12:31 PM »

hmm... I don't seem to see a searing kit accessory listed for the stampede.. they have one listed in their bundles though.  I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and find out whats up.  Maybe the one for the Bull fits? maybe minus 1 panel?  hmm

Ross77

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 11:46:32 PM »

hmm... I don't seem to see a searing kit accessory listed for the stampede.. they have one listed in their bundles though.  I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and find out whats up.  Maybe the one for the Bull fits? maybe minus 1 panel?  hmm

You can also buy direct from GrillGrate. 

Ralphie

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »

I watched a Rec Tec video on Facebook yesterday where they grilled a ribeye on the Stampede.  They were using a Grill Grate type searing accessory. 

Side note regarding the warranty: I spoke to a Rec Tec customer service rep yesterday (he called within minutes of my submitting an online inquiry).  I asked why the Stampede and smaller grills have a 2 year warranty while the Bull and 680 have 6 year warranties.  He explained that the 680, and now the Bull, are their flagship products.  Their intent is to reasonably align the warranty periods for their smaller grills with their competitors while using the 6 year as an added bonus/inducement to sell more of their flagship/expensive grills.
It made sense the way he described it.  Particularly since most of the components are largely the same.   
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

sbryant24

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »

Rec Tec won't hang you out to dry after the 2 year warranty has expired.
Rec Tec RT-680 ( Sold ) Genesis S-330 Firecraft Q-450 ( Selling ) Rec Tec RT-590
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up