Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paws and reflect  (Read 826 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Paws and reflect
« on: March 23, 2018, 01:37:52 AM »

Helped host a "Dinner in the Dark" tonight. Once all the food was served, the lights were turned out and everyone was literally eating in the dark. The idea was to raise awareness for the struggles people with disabilities face each day. All the proceeds went to "Paws With a Cause", a service dog training center in our area. They train about 200 dogs a year and distribute them nationally. It costs them about $30,000 to train a dog, but there is never a fee or charge for the recipient of the dog. It sounds very similar to what Kristin has been working on.

There were three people that came to speak and they brought two dogs. One was a four month old puppy and the other was an adult dog that was retired from active service, but able to do demos for groups like ours. They also played a video that showed the training process from the vantage point of the dog. It really made you stop and think. It wasn't just about the ways the dog assisted, but how the dogs were able to make such a dramatic transformation in a person; allowing them to live a much fuller and independent life. It did make me "paws" and reflect on how people can be facing such struggles and still live life to the fullest. God bless you Kristin and all others who are working to help make the world a better place for others.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
Re: Paws and reflect
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:47:01 AM »

Here are a few pictures from the dinner.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:52:36 AM by jdmessner »
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:26:23 AM »

Thank you jdmessner and God Bless you for helping to raise awareness and financial support for these causes.  This simply highlights that everyone can contribute on all sorts of levels to making our world a little bit better.

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »

What a fantastic  cause.   :clap:

My nephew and his wife do something similar in MI. They get a puppy for several months to start the process.  There's many rules they have to follow in regards to the training of the pup. They get so attached to the pup, then have to let it go so it can go to the next level. 

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »

My nephew and his wife do something similar in MI. They get a puppy for several months to start the process.  There's many rules they have to follow in regards to the training of the pup. They get so attached to the pup, then have to let it go so it can go to the next level.

Paws headquarters is in Grand Rapids, MI. Perhaps it is the same outfit. The other assitance dog training facility in the state is Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, MI. They also do a great job. I toured their facility a year ago when they had just completed a big remodeling project. It also happened to be a day when people were coming to pick up their puppies. It was fun to watch.

Here is a link to the video they showed last night. It does a good job of describing the role of the puppy raisers and how important they are to the training process. I had someone tell me after the event that they cried when the puppy trainer had to give the dog back. Mary, the puppy raiser in the video, was one of the speakers for our group. The video is "You Needed Me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4E_z2X6Aic

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »

jdmessner/Kristin, not only are you guys great cooks, more importantly you are outstanding people first.  Thanks for all you do to make this a better place to live for all of us.  I am always touched by things folks do for others above themselves!

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »

Touching.  So true.  There are kind thoughtful people out there.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »

That was a great video on the service dog journey.  It is hard to give your puppy up, but becomes so much easier when you know that they have a greater purpose in life.

Some of you  might remember Dexter, my second puppy.  He went to a gentleman who was kind enough to stay in touch and share his journey with Dex.  He send photos of what they are doing.  They are up in PA and we hope to go visit in April.  It will be the first time seeing Dex since August 2016.  Here is a video they did which gives a little glimpse into how a service dog can affect a life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ATVsA4oUw0

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »

Paws headquarters is in Grand Rapids, MI. Perhaps it is the same outfit. The other assitance dog training facility in the state is Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, MI. They also do a great job. I toured their facility a year ago when they had just completed a big remodeling project. It also happened to be a day when people were coming to pick up their puppies. It was fun to watch.

Here is a link to the video they showed last night. It does a good job of describing the role of the puppy raisers and how important they are to the training process. I had someone tell me after the event that they cried when the puppy trainer had to give the dog back. Mary, the puppy raiser in the video, was one of the speakers for our group. The video is "You Needed Me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4E_z2X6Aic

They live in Grand rapids.  They haven't accepted a new pup after the last one because they just had their first lady, and weren't to sure about handling two little ones.  I believe they plan on getting back into it though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up