Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 23 Mar 2018
  • As a life long Detroit Tiger fan, the outlook for the baseball season is kind of bleak this year. Since the lineup on the field is weak, they are trying to make up for it in the consession stands. What are some of the most unique food combos you have seen (good, bad, or otherwise)? Here are a few of the more unique items on the menu as reported by the Detroit News:

New for the 2018 season: a brisket and cheddar-stuffed cornbread muffin. You’ll also find coney dog pizza. But that’s a holdover from last year — unlike, say, Justin Verlander.

What’s new and enticing are a Sy Ginsberg corned beef sandwich and the Ode to Detroit dog, a natural-casing frank smothered in brisket chili, drizzled with habanero queso cheese sauce and topped with green onions. In the food court you will come across:

■Halal knockwurst, even if that sounds like an oxymoron.

■A porchetta sandwich with smoked porchetta, queso fresco, pickled onion and scallion chimichurri, even if most people don’t quite know what porchetta, queso fresco and chimichurri are. (In order: Italian pork roast, a mild, milky cheese, and a South American sauce with parsley and garlic.)

■A power greens salad with broccoli, kohlrabi, kale, Brussels sprouts, golden beets, some other stuff and poppy seed dressing, even if that sounds more like Ferndale than Fenway Park.

Historically, most of the Tigers’ new food items have flamed out like Jim Walewander. (Don’t remember him? That’s because he flamed out.) Two years ago, for instance, there were pork rind nachos and the brat pop, a flattened, grilled bratwurst patty dipped in pancake batter and deep fried.
    In 2015, there was a hot dog topped with potato chips and French onion dip. The year before that saw the poutine dog, forgotten by all except the handful of people who ordered one and then wondered why.

There’s always the ultimate Southern burger, with jalapeno pimento cheese, crispy fried green tomatoes, lettuce and country ground mustard. From various other compass points, Comerica Park will offer a New Orleans-style muffaletta sandwich, an Italian grinder, a wet burrito caprese salad and Buffalo cauliflower, which is exactly what it sounds like — cauliflower bites tossed in spicy red buffalo sauce, accompanied by celery sticks and blue cheese dipping sauce. Throw in pimento cheese and pretzels, a cheese blend served with pretzel crisps, and the nacho burger, topped with cheddar cheese, cotija cheese, tortilla chips, salsa and jalapenos on a brioche bun, and that’s the Class of 2018.

There’s still no Verlander, but look at all he’s missing.
  • #2 by Bentley on 23 Mar 2018
  • I am trying to think of the last time I was at a Dodger game, and it was 2008 I think, and the most exotic thing they had was a Jap and cheese sausage I think.  Now the Angles, they got into all this New Wave stuff like 30 years ago, but I never got to one of their games...
  • #3 by hughver on 23 Mar 2018
  • One of the reasons for the weak lineup is that a pitcher that shares my last name went to Houston.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Mar 2018
  • They had these at a Pirates game I went to in 2015.  The Cuban pretzel dog was a hit.  The pierogie pulled pork sandwich was not as good.

• #5 by cookingjnj on 23 Mar 2018
  • Can never go wrong with the two amber colored carbonated beverages on the right of the pierogie pp sammie however...
  • #6 by texasbrew on 25 Mar 2018
  • At the Astros games at the juice box (aka Minute Maid Park) my favorite food item is Torchy's Trailer Park Taco.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions