Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Can I Do With the Trimmings When I Make St. Louis Ribs?  (Read 1587 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
What Can I Do With the Trimmings When I Make St. Louis Ribs?
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »

I used to BBQ the trimmings along with the St. Louis cut ribs but I have been vac-freezing them for a while.

You know the part that's trimmed off; the flap, the thick part along the top and the boneless ends.  It's good meat (and some cartilage) but I don't have a good idea for using it up. 

I suppose I could BBQ a big batch. 

If it were beef I'd make vegetable beef soup.  Do you have a good recipe for vegetable pork soup?

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: What Can I Do With the Trimmings When I Make St. Louis Ribs?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »

cook them and pick the meat off for pulled pork which you could use on a sammich, quesadilla, chili, etc.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »

I cook and use in baked beans
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »

I cook and use in baked beans

Moi aussi (thought I would bring a little international flavor this morning; plus, after 4 years of French, I think those are 2 of the 4 words I remember).

Trooper, you have one of the best baked beans recipes I have ever had.  You need to post it in sides.

pmillen, instead of pork vegetable soup make a variation of ham and bean soup using the pork. I sure love a good bean soup in fall and winter.  I know I am strange, but I make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to go with it and dip my sandwich in the soup.

You could also make cassoulet (there's my french coming out again!).  Some recipes don't call for any meat, but some put pork or rabbit so you could add what you like.

Queball

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:18:32 AM »

The Cassoulet. .... Casserole. Developed in the Occitan region of France, it is a rich, slow cooked preparation containing meat confit and white beans at its core. As expected, depending on the area, many variations exist and can include goose, duck, sausage, pork, mutton and even bacon. …. Mmmm, Bacon! ……. Sometimes more than one meat! Today’s “Haute Cuisine” versions mix pre-cooked, roasted meats with beans separately simmered with aromatic vegetables. The American definition of cassoulet is typically applied to any hearty bean-based casserole. …. By the way, January 9th is “National Cassoulet Day” here in the US.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
This is a smokey chicken confit with Andouille sausage cassoulet. Your rib trimmings would be great! in it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:21:48 AM by Queball »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »

Nice pics Queball.  We had one in the little town of Carcassonne when we visited France several years ago. Carcaassone claimed to be the home of the cassoulet and it sure was good! I think they must have covered it while cooking because it was a bit creamier/soupier (although not runny) than your pictures.

The more I think of it, the more I realize this could be a great cook on a pit because I believe it is a low and slow thing and some smoke would go well with the beans.  Might have to make that on January 9!!!

Queball

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »

Kristin,
What you are looking at is a topping of dried, crushed bread cubes , seasoned with garlic infused olive oil, that have been browned making a crunchy rust. It's moist underneath.

The chicken confit is done a day ahead also, low and slow in oil, and then added when the cassoulet is being assembled for cooking. As a preservation technique they would place the meat and oil in a pot in the ground. The steady ground temperature would keep the meat cool and coagulate the duck fat which would create a seal on the top of the bowl to keep "the critters" out. The meat was good for 5 to 6 weeks. In Provonce they use olive oil, but that's called "En Confit". The real confit is duck fat. This is an 18th century bowl typically used to place in the ground.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Paul's rib cuttings would be tasty with this. Large white beans are used and it has a tomato base inclusion but it is not a sugary "baked bean" kin of thing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:49:41 PM by Queball »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »

Yes, Bent really liked it because it wasn't sugary and much more savory.  Thanks for all the info.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »

You could also make cassoulet (there's my french coming out again!).  Some recipes don't call for any meat, but some put pork or rabbit so you could add what you like.

Amazing!  I make cassoulet once a year.  It's a traditional French peasant dish made from leftovers.  It takes me several days of cooking just to get the leftovers.  AND I use pork!  But it's always been a roast. 

Thanks for the advice. 

I love this kind of exchange.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »

Post your cook and recipe when you make it.  I would love to see it.

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »

Dang that cassoulet looks absolutely delicious Queball  :clap:
PZ

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »

Sausage and beans for me...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Post your cook and recipe when you make it.  I would love to see it.

I will if I cook it on my pellet pit, but I probably won't so I won't.  I have chosen to only address pellet pit associated subjects when discussing cooking here.  That's why I didn't list my non-pellet equipment in the section where we were asked to list our pits.  Others obviously see this differently.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »

Please don't let the way I was asked to run PH influence that decision...even I had to rethink that attitude, and I am glad I did!  I guarantee some Chicken Fried Steak posts are coming from me down the road and they will NOT be cooked on my pits!  And there will be other dishes too!

Do what makes you feel comfortable, but don't let My Richard head past make you feel you have to! 
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »

I listed my Weber Performer & my Vision Komado charcoal grills in my signature but I use foil pouches of pellets in  99% of the cooks on them.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up