Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Can I Do With the Trimmings When I Make St. Louis Ribs?  (Read 1586 times)

Queball

Re: What Can I Do With the Trimmings When I Make St. Louis Ribs?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »

"Amazing!  I make cassoulet once a year.  It's a traditional French peasant dish made from leftovers.  It takes me several days of cooking just to get the leftovers.  AND I use pork!  But it's always been a roast." 

Cassoulet means casserole. It is French, but it is based on using meats with a type of large bean. I think Americans throw whatever they have together and call it a casserole, but at it's heart, a cassoulet is not necessarily about "leftovers".
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:35:19 PM by Queball »

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »

I've always trimmed and cooked with the ribs.

I can definitely see a use in a soup/stew, or casserole. More so as a grind for sausage.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »

Please don't let the way I was asked to run PH influence that decision...even I had to rethink that attitude, and I am glad I did!  I guarantee some Chicken Fried Steak posts are coming from me down the road and they will NOT be cooked on my pits!  And there will be other dishes too!

Do what makes you feel comfortable, but don't let My Richard head past make you feel you have to!

Bentley, from your first post in Welcome to the show, here.

I realize most of you may think I want you to drink the Kool-Aid too!  I am much more hardcore about keepin it about Pellets then Larry ever was.  For me Joe Traeger nailed it when he said "Taste the Difference".  That was 20 years ago for me, and when I cook out doors, it is all I use!  I clinched my teeth and cursed under my breath when I was told to open a few of the Boards he wanted on Pelletheads.com, they had nothing to do with Pellets

So—I'm stayin' fixed on pellets.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »

Cassoulet means casserole. It is French, but it is based on using meats with a type of large bean. I think Americans throw whatever they have together and call it a casserole, but at it's heart, a cassoulet is not necessarily about "leftovers".

Here's where I may have gone wrong.  I got my recipe made from leftovers from the cook at a French countryside B&B.  I thought she said it was a traditional French peasant dish.  She may have meant that it was a traditional French recipe for a cassoulet.

As I was discussing this with Marcia she found this passage on Wikipedia (hardly an expert source), "Haute cuisine versions require mixing pre-cooked roasted meats with beans that have been simmered separately with aromatic vegetables, but this runs counter to cassoulet's peasant origins."  The precooked (leftover) aspect that I have clung to for several years may not be correct at all.

I wonder if there was an old lady in France chuckling until her last days over the story she told "that American."

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »

GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up