Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by WayneB on 23 Mar 2018
  • Wegmans has Tri Tps now, how do I cook it?

Wayne B
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Mar 2018
  • Well, you will get plenty of different guidance on that.  I did mine at 250° until it hit about 140°.

This is what it looked like cold and vac sealed.  Mine was a peppercorn marinated one from Sam's.

This is that same package after warming up in the microwave for I believe 90 seconds.

If you have never made one before, go to youtube for a search on how to slice a tri-tip.  There are two different waves of the grain in this cut so you will need to slice one side across it's grain, and then turn so you can cut the other side across it's grain as it changes about midway through the piece of meat.

Best of luck to you, and be sure to share pics with us.
  • #3 by bregent on 24 Mar 2018
  • I make tri-tip every month - usually do a Santa Maria seasoning and try to get the salt on it 12-24 hours before cooking. Smoke low until IT is around 120F, then sear to medium-rare.  Leftovers sliced thin are great for sandwiches. This one was seared on the Memphis open flame but sometimes sear on cast iron:

• #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Mar 2018
  • I think I actually like it better sliced really thin for a sandwich than eating it like a steak.
  • #5 by Brushpopper on 24 Mar 2018
  • I usually cook them at 225 and it depends on how big they are for the amount of time.  I did a two pounder a couple weeks ago that took a little over two hours to get to 140 IT.  I haven't reversed seared one yet because the teen girls are always starving and don't want to wait.  Here's one I did in January on the GMG DB that was seasoned from the meat market with their seasoning.  It's really good and is an easy cheat to buy it seasoned.  My wife always panics about the myoglobin on the plate and won't eat it.  She prefers chicken so I cook her that on the Traeger.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #6 by pz on 24 Mar 2018
  • I think I actually like it better sliced really thin for a sandwich than eating it like a steak.

X2

Another way to use tri tip is to grind it into burger meat - it typically contains the perfect amount of marbled fat, and results in some of the best burgers I have eaten. I served tri tip sliders at our annual New Year's party, and it was a big hit - one of our guests has never made a comment about the food, but she recently mentioned that they were the best burgers she had ever eaten. We mostly can purchase tri tip at C&C for less that $3/lb, which is cheaper than prepared ground beef in our area.
  • #7 by Michael_NW on 25 Mar 2018

Yes, and a hot sandwich on crusty bread just like bregent has is fantastic.
  • #8 by Mudflap on 25 Mar 2018
  • I am a fan of revers sear. 180 to IT of 110 then turn grill up to 450 and sear until IT130ish.

Elk on left Tri tip on right

Mudflap
  • #9 by riverrat49 on 26 Mar 2018
  • Nice Pics, Welcome to the Reverse Sear Club  :clap:

I am a fan of revers sear. 180 to IT of 110 then turn grill up to 450 and sear until IT130ish.

Elk on left Tri tip on right

Mudflap
  • #10 by WayneB on 26 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for the advice, going to try one this weekend.

Wayne B
  • #11 by Goosehunter51 on 26 Mar 2018
  • I have cooked Tri-tip many different ways.  I have smoked for two hours at 180, panned and foiled for three more hours at 250.  This way turns out very tender, juicy and tasty.  That being said I now prefer to Smoke for one hour, then crank to high and BBQ until you get an IT of 130.  Let set 15 minutes, slice against the grain and enjoy one of the best cuts of meat, in my opinion.

I love me some tri-tip, enjoy.
Pages:
Actions