Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Plant175 on 24 Mar 2018
  • I’m considering either a Yoder or a Memphis grill and wondering what the advantages are of buying local (1 1/2 hours from my home) for either pit. I always try to buy local as much as possible but I’m not seeing the advantage with this type of purchase. Most of the manufacturers warranty is between you and the manufacturer not the person you purchased it from. I was at Costco yesterday and they were demonstrating Tragers and if you have issues you contact the manufacturer. So with this type of purchase it’s just find the best deal becouse if you need to fix it I’m the person doing it in the end ?
  • #2 by Bentley on 24 Mar 2018
  • I guess I would show each dealer your post and ask them if it is a correct assessment?  Then I would simply ask each why should I buy from you!
  • #3 by pmillen on 24 Mar 2018
  • Then I would simply ask each why should I buy from you!

Yes!  It's a question I almost always ask; "What sets you apart from your competition?" 
  • #4 by Ross77 on 24 Mar 2018
  • I know people who have taken Traegers back to Costco.  I have no concerns buying anything there. If you want parts, yes you contact Traeger but if you want to take it back after the warranty expires I have no doubt they would let you return it.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 25 Mar 2018
  •  I would go for the best deal based on the dealer rarely stocks parts, labor and travel time aren't part of the standard warranty..Most pits require some sort of assembly that a dealer should include, if this is a concern. If the price is close I would source locally.
  • #6 by dclord on 25 Mar 2018
  • I bought mine online because it was the only option for the one I wanted. Also I like to have big items delivered which is often free when you buy online.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #7 by Plant175 on 25 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for your insights. I’m thinking that assembly is what a dealer can offer. Like I said the closest dealer is a 1 1/2 hours away for either unit. If your mechanically inclined that shouldn’t be a issue if you bought online.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 26 Mar 2018

•  Re assembly; Can't speak for the Yoder. The Memphis is rather simple.It requires installing the shelves ( 5, 1/4" bolts requiring a 7/16" socket or wrench) , controller, power cord, cord storage wrap, racks, and the most tedious and lengthly chore, the protective

plastic film that covers all the outside panels/parts.   It comes well protected on a wood pallet.
  • #9 by Ralphie on 26 Mar 2018
  • As noted above, it's worth asking the dealer what they offer.  Even though I chose a different brand, I came pretty close to getting a Traeger simply because in addition to the manufacturer's warranty, my local Traeger dealer's standard free offering is to deliver it, assemble it, and to add on their own one year warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty.  But during the one year dealer warranty period, they come to your house to fix whatever is wrong if they can't talk you through it on the phone.
    It's a great deal they offer.  On the other hand, a dealer may offer nothing at all.  Just have to ask.
  • #10 by Dave R. on 02 Apr 2018
  • I'm looking at the MAK which are built about 1 1/2 hour drive from here. I called and asked about the shipping fee which is included in the retail price. I asked if I bought it and no shipping involved would the shipping fee be deducted. The answer was no but what they would do is determine the shipping fee to my location and offer that value in accessories. fair enough as I would be purchasing the said add ons anyway. May be worth calling and asking.
  • #11 by wyd on 21 May 2018
  • I bought my pellet grill from a dealer that I have bought from many times and was use to there customer service so I chose my local dealer.  They carried Traeger and Louisiana Pellet.  If I have problems I just go to my dealer and he takes care of me and knows that I bought from him many times so I feel if I have problems my dealer will take care of me vs ordering or buying from a big box store.
  • #12 by MadFoodScientist on 21 May 2018
  • I'd keep in mind who might be assembling the grill for the dealer.  You might be better off doing the assembly yourself.
  • #13 by Conumdrum on 21 May 2018
  • The Yoder has to install the grates, shelves, grease bucket, pellet drop, and diffuser plate.  It's shipped on a pallet at 350 lbs or so.  And a plug to plug into the back of the unit, about 6'.

No screws, nothing but put the stuff on and burn it in.

Have mine 4 years and looking great, makes great Q and sears hot when I need it.

Get the diffuser with the hole for cleaning and the grill grates and top shelf for the inside. 

You'll be set for years and years....
Pages:
Actions