Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 25 Mar 2018

•  Do you cover your pit?  If so:
                                               A/ All the time?

B/ Off season or long time out of service?

C/ For inclement weather ?

D/ Never?

If you use or have used a cover, how could it be improved if there was a problem such as water leaks, hard to install, stiff when cold....?

• #2 by dclord on 25 Mar 2018
  • I did at first, but hardly ever anymore. If the cover was heat resistant so I could put it on right away I might do it more often. Also it would help if the cover didn't atract spiders.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #3 by Bentley on 25 Mar 2018
  • Somewhere between C and D!  Always had cheap, knock offs.  So they never last long enough to worry about what changes one could make to them.  If I used them more, might look into one by Mel.  But pit is on patio, so no real reason! 
  • #4 by hughver on 25 Mar 2018
  • In AZ I cover all of them all of the time when not in use. If not to protect them from the rain, to protect them from the sun which is much worst. it's amazing how hot the pits can get in 120° weather.
  • #5 by dk117 on 25 Mar 2018
  • Very interesting question.  I agree with dclord.  It's an evolution.    Initially it was all the time.   Then just from October - April.   Now I'm just draping the cover over the hopper/controller during inclement weather.    I don't know that I'll quite get to never in the rainy PNW.

DK
    • dk117
  • #6 by Osborn Cox on 25 Mar 2018
  • Almost all of the time.    If I know I will be using it again the next day and there is no moisture in the forecast I leave it uncovered, otherwise I cover.    Mine seems to be extremely sensitive to moisture and if it gets rained on it will trip the outlet next time I try to fire it up.
  • #7 by triplebq on 25 Mar 2018
  • A for me.
  • #8 by Ross77 on 25 Mar 2018
  • All the time.  I can't bring myself to leave a $1200 smoker with electronics uncovered when not in use.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Mar 2018
  • Never anymore...had 3 of them sit on the patio all winter this year
  • #10 by Michael_NW on 25 Mar 2018
  • Very interesting question.  I agree with dclord.  It's an evolution.    Initially it was all the time.   Then just from October - April.   Now I'm just draping the cover over the hopper/controller during inclement weather.    I don't know that I'll quite get to never in the rainy PNW.

DK

I agree. And if I were to somehow get some kind of actual patio cover it would push me toward the never a lot faster.
  • #11 by cookingjnj on 25 Mar 2018
  • As of right now it is all the time.  As Ross had mentioned, I am still not comfortable leaving the electronics, and hopper full of pellets out in the elements.  I am sure over time, this might change.
  • #12 by glitchy on 25 Mar 2018
  • All the time, every grill I’ve owned. Now with a patio, It’s as much about dirt and dust as anything. It’s always windy here and seems like a lot of dust dirt blows around constantly especially on the back side of our house.
  • #13 by Goosehunter51 on 26 Mar 2018
  • never used to use a cover until recently, now I find it helps keep the dust off and it looks nice.
  • #14 by Clonesmoker on 26 Mar 2018
  • GMG makes an awesome cover!! Here in central IA we had 8" of snow along with rain, freezing rain, and sleet on Sat. Would never leave my DB uncovered with the weather we get.
  • #15 by SmokinHandyman on 26 Mar 2018
  • I cover mine all of the time and it is also stored on an enclosed sunporch.
Pages:
Actions