Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Mar 2018
  • Does the FEC100 really get to a low temp of 130 degrees?  Seems like that would be great for jerky cooks.
  • #2 by Bentley on 25 Mar 2018
  • None that I ever cooked on could get that low, but I have not cooked on a model after 2013...
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Mar 2018
  • the website has a spec sheet that states 130-400 temp range which seemed low to me too which was why I was asking here
  • #4 by Bentley on 25 Mar 2018
  • If Cookshack states it, I would believe it!
  • #5 by TechMOGogy on 29 Mar 2018
  • Mine has the hold temp set at the default 140 and it does that easily. Never gone below that.
    I would guess that cooking raw meat at 130 for more than 3 hours could put you into dangerous territory.
  • #6 by pmillen on 30 Mar 2018
  • I would guess that cooking raw meat at 130 for more than 3 hours could put you into dangerous territory.

I'm not Food-Safe certified but–

The sous-vide literature almost always points out that lower temperatures for longer periods are as effective at killing harmful bacteria as the "flash temperatures" the USDA recommends.  So, even though the USDA rightfully recommends that hamburgers be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F, a SV expert will say that's based on the momentary temperature required to kill the harmful bacteria.  They will point out that a lower temperature for a longer period will do an equal job of killing the bacteria.

Does that set of conditions apply to jerky production?
  • #7 by Bentley on 30 Mar 2018
  • Most have cure in their jerky so that takes care of the problem!
Pages:
Actions