Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 years with PG500  (Read 1356 times)

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
5 years with PG500
« on: March 01, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »

I have now had my PG500 for 5 years.  It has been a great cooker.  I have had only one issue with it which was the igniter burned out after 4.5 years.  The cooker doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles that make it popular but it just works reliably.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Once I got used to the zones it would be hard to go back to a cooker that didn't have the multiple zones.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Hopefully the next 5 go as well as the last 5 years.

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: 5 years with PG500
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:24:33 PM »

Nice! Food looks fantastic... here’s to another 5 solid years :)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »

Don't own one, but still one of my favorite units!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:19:05 PM »

I say go for another 5 years  :clap:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Lantern

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »

I think you did a great job at showing how the zones cook differently. It is tough to beat in the price range if you are looking for an all in one unit and no need for a lot of real estate for cooking one single thing.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »

I think you did a great job at showing how the zones cook differently. It is tough to beat in the price range if you are looking for an all in one unit and no need for a lot of real estate for cooking one single thing.

Very good summary.  I am still a little unsure of the difference between this unit and the other Fast Eddy unit that has a similar interior but a different exterior look to it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »

Very good summary.  I am still a little unsure of the difference between this unit and the other Fast Eddy unit that has a similar interior but a different exterior look to it.
If you are talking about the 1000 it is insulated. The insulation causes you to lose the hot top that I have used to warm sauce and beans.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

If you are talking about the 1000 it is insulated. The insulation causes you to lose the hot top that I have used to warm sauce and beans.

Gotcha
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »

Five years of use is a good indicator of performance and durability. One igniter is acceptable. Igniters being a weak spot that is being improved upon by some manufacturers.. No rust as with non stainless units is ideal..Nice photos too. Thanks for the post!

DMAXNAZ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

I think I'm around 6 years. One of the best purchases I have ever made. The funny thing is every time I tell somebody about pellet smoking they are like "you got a traeger?". I'm like, check out these pictures on my phone.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »

What is that pizza sitting on, texasbrew?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:48 PM »

I preheated a pizza stone over zone 2 and put the pizza on that.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 07:52:10 AM »

[/quote]If you are talking about the 1000 it is insulated. The insulation causes you to lose the hot top that I have used to warm sauce and beans.

[/quote]

Take my word for it, the top of the 1000 still gets warm enough to be used for that purpose or burn your hand
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

dieselr88

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:47 AM »

I’ve had my PG 1000 around 5 years without any issues. I did have an issue with it tripping the gfic on start up, thought it may be the ignitor, but ended up being the cover letting the rain in near the board. We had lots of heavy rain that summer. I switched to a different brand cover and no problems since.
I noticed the top gets pretty hot while using it in the summer with sun shining on it, when the sun disappears it seems to cool down a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up