Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 25 Mar 2018
  • I picked up a couple of chuck roast @ $2.97/lb. yesterday. I did not notice until I got home, but one was labeled "Chuck Roast" and the other was labeled "Chuck Cross Rib Roast", both in the same bin. From Google, the cross rib version comes from the portion of the shoulder where it meets the rib cage, it's very lean but still has lots of inter connecting fibers and is hard to chew/tough cooked medium rare. I'll sous vide both after smoking for 3 hours at 160°. The chuck, I'll sous vide for 48 hours at 133°. Anyone have experience cooking a chuck cross rib roast? Do they take less time than a normal chuck roast to be tender? My inclination is to reduce the sous vide time to at least 36 hours. Thanks for the help.
  • #2 by bregent on 25 Mar 2018
  • That's a good price. Not sure about the difference between "chuck" and cross rib - but when I did a chuck roast a few weeks ago, I cut out the really tough inter connective tendons and trussed it back together.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2046.msg25184#msg25184
  • #3 by hughver on 25 Mar 2018
  • I cut out the really tough inter connective tendons and trussed it back together.

That sounds like a good idea, next time. The chuck is already in the sous vide and the cross rib is at 96° IT in the smoker.   :)
Pages:
Actions