Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly Solved Uneven Heat Issue - Foil  (Read 2807 times)

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
Possibly Solved Uneven Heat Issue - Foil
« on: March 26, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »

Since I got my GMG Davy Crockett, it's been a bit of a love/hate relationship with it due to it's uneven heating, significant hot spots, and then more recently a bad controller.  With that said, GMG customer service has been really good trying to get my DC to perform the way many others have reported.  I read last week on the internet somewhere that the 2018 models of the DC have a new one-piece drip pan.  I called GMG and they confirmed it's a solid one-piece drip pan, but it won't be available for an estimated few weeks.  I also read that some foil their drip pans not just for easier cleaning, but to prevent hot air from coming through the holes even it it is in "closed" position.  With this in mind, I used heavy duty kingsford grilling foil and foiled the upper drip pan.  I then took measurements with my digital thermometers at the Left, Center, and Right.  I took the temps at 150 degrees and also at 250.  At both temps, the L-C-R were within 5-10 degrees of each other with mostly being more even than not across the 3 sections.

I then used my 10x15 baking pan along with my raised grate (see my previous posts) and smoked a rack of beef ribs for 6 hours at 250.  The ribs came out very good, but the thing I noticed the most was the even cooking, which is has always been mostly absent from my DC.  Obviously, the baking pan and elevated rack protected the usual scorching at the grate, but the left/right/rear edges of the ribs were not crispy as they usually are. 

Next time, I might try to cook something on the grate level with the drip pan foiled again.  This will tell me for sure if a solid pan would perform better.  I've never been a fan of the 2-piece drip pan and always thought that the the extra hot air would still make its way through the holes even though it's in "closed" position.  I'm glad GMG will be offering an alternative soon.
Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
Re: Possibly Solved Uneven Heat Issue - Foil
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:23:14 AM »

Hm, very interesting observation.

My JB came with the olde skool 1 piece pan, and the 3 piece diffuser.  Being somewhat of a pack rat, I couldn't bring myself to throw out the old one piece pan (although I'm pretty sure I can ditch the 3 piece diffuser).  I might try putting the one piece pan back in there to see how that goes for the longer cooks where I want indirect heat.

I've also got a fireboard, so I can do some data logging.  Not sure how posting that will sit with Bentley, but it really isn't a "review" per se.  Any comments Bentley?  Would it be ok if I did that and posted up the results?
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »

Would prefer you let folks contact you if they would like the results!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »

Not a problem, Bentley.  Will do.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »

I think the days of Performance Testing are over.  I think Camp Chef is smart enough to see it as an advertising opportunity, but the rest obviously don't want to participate anymore.  And if that remains true through the end of 2018.  I will not want folks doing reviews, just cuz we don't know everyone, but things like you want to do I will probably allow!

Thank you for understanding at this time!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up