Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reheating Pulled Pork in Sous Vide  (Read 2294 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Reheating Pulled Pork in Sous Vide
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »

What temp and time have folks used?  Do you put in frozen or thaw first?

I have a few quart vac sealed bags in the freezer leftover from my St Pats weekend cook. I was thinking of trying my Chefman to reheat.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Reheating Pulled Pork in Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 01:47:20 AM »

I usually go about 160, directly from the freezer.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:30:49 AM »

I did some vac sealed soup straight from the freezer at 150. It was nice not to burn all the skin in my mouth when testing the temp. I'm known in my family for attempting to eat food when it's waaaay too hot.

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:01:04 AM »

I did some vac sealed soup straight from the freezer at 150. It was nice not to burn all the skin in my mouth when testing the temp. I'm known in my family for attempting to eat food when it's waaaay too hot.

You too? 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »

I usually go about 160, directly from the freezer.

About how long?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »

There are 2 tables on this page that refer to reheating meats. I assume the first is for from refrigerated temperatures (I don't think it actually says it) and the second one is for from frozen, which it states directly. The time depends on how thick the thickest part of your frozen meat is. It is also a general guideline.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-a-simple-and-stress-free-way-to-reheat-almost-anything

HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

There are 2 tables on this page that refer to reheating meats. I assume the first is for from refrigerated temperatures (I don't think it actually says it) and the second one is for from frozen, which it states directly. The time depends on how thick the thickest part of your frozen meat is. It is also a general guideline.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-a-simple-and-stress-free-way-to-reheat-almost-anything

Thanks. Good link of info. I do think I will find another way if re-heating a 2.5 inch steak. 7 1/4 hours for leftovers is a bit of a wait for a "quick" dinner.

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »

Thanks. Good link of info. I do think I will find another way if re-heating a 2.5 inch steak. 7 1/4 hours for leftovers is a bit of a wait for a "quick" dinner.

Personally, I have not used Sous Vide to reheat but it sounds great for holding larger batches for gatherings IMHO. For pulled pork which you originally cooked to 190+ anyway, I just put it in a pot of water and put it on high. Once the water starts boiling I turn it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I pull it out of the hot water and mush it around to see if the center is hot. If it is not hot enough it goes back in the hot water for another 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat until it is hot enough, and obviously I turn the heat back on if the water cools off too much.

I doubt I would ever freeze a 2" thick cooked steak, much less need to warm up a frozen 2" thick already cooked steak. Pulled pork is way more forgiving concerning reheating and not overcooking compared to a steak to begin with. For a steak you are trying to get the entire steak to within a degree or 2 of the temperature you cooked it at. So you are reheating a steak to 135-ish in 135-ish water. With pulled pork you are trying to get it back to 150-ish and can use much hotter water without compromising the meat....
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »

I throw the pork in frozen, usually 160-170 degrees and for about an hour, never had any issues.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »

I would do 160 if doing SV but most of the time I put the bags in water in my slow cooker or 20qt roaster depending on how much I have. Frozen will just take longer depending on how much is in the bag. If you are going to do the SV route, I would just boil water and put in the pot and then put in the circulator.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »

Theses are the bags that have some of the skimmed pork fat in them?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »

Theses are the bags that have some of the skimmed pork fat in them?

Yes
Pages: [1]   Go Up