Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by LowSlowJoe on 30 Mar 2018
  • I won't use Tenderquick myself...  don't see a need for using Nitrate on a short cure and since it's in Tenderquick, I just don't want to use it.  I'm not going to second guess the USDA, so I see no reason at all to add Nitrate into a product that I'm curing for 2 weeks or less.

In addition to not wanting Nitrate added in my short cure , the ratios of salt to Nitrite are such that it it just doesn't give me the flexibility that I want.  It's easy enough to get some Cure #1, or Cure #2, that I don't feel compelled in any way shape or form to use TenderQuick.
  • #17 by sleebus.jones on 30 Mar 2018
  • I cook my bacon in oven at 350° so I am confused.  Is it frying that causes the  nitrosamines or the temperatures at which it is cooked? Or the IT of the meat?  I cant imagine my bacon ever gets higher then 210° even when I deep fry it!

If any part of the meat hits or exceeds 266° F, nitrosamines will be formed.  So if you are frying in 350° F oil, there are parts of the meat that are definitely exceeding 266° F.  If you are seeing any sort of browning, you can be sure you've exceeded 266° F at some point.

I won't use Tenderquick myself...  don't see a need for using Nitrate on a short cure and since it's in Tenderquick, I just don't want to use it.  I'm not going to second guess the USDA, so I see no reason at all to add Nitrate into a product that I'm curing for 2 weeks or less.

In addition to not wanting Nitrate added in my short cure , the ratios of salt to Nitrite are such that it it just doesn't give me the flexibility that I want.  It's easy enough to get some Cure #1, or Cure #2, that I don't feel compelled in any way shape or form to use TenderQuick.

Yep, I agree with you.  I find it really weird that they make a product that if used as directed, runs counter to USDA regs.  I have a big bag of Sugar Cure (which is no longer made apparently) that I don't have a use for now that I have Cure #1 and Cure #2 (I do charcuterie, so I'm using #2 for the right reasons!).
Pages:
Actions