Pages:
Actions
  • #151 by slaga on 03 Apr 2018
  • If I don't win this one I think I might be buying one myself.  :rotf:
  • #152 by slaga on 03 Apr 2018
  • I looks like there was a stall from about 12:08 to 1:40. Wrapped in a casing I would not think there would be any stall. I also know nothing about smoking any kind of sausage or bologna.
  • #153 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Apr 2018
  • I looks like there was a stall from about 12:08 to 1:40. Wrapped in a casing I would not think there would be any stall. I also know nothing about smoking any kind of sausage or bologna.

It also looks like a similar cycle an hour prior.
  • #154 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • It appears neither do I! 

Last 3 just went in ice bath, other 7 are in fridge.  I want to go cut one right now, but I would like to give it that time in the fridge before I unveil if Members will indulge me!

I also know nothing about smoking any kind of sausage or bologna.
  • #155 by WiPelletHead on 03 Apr 2018
  • Bentley, I forgot to mention that you should let the sausage hang at room temp for an hour or so to bloom.

It won't hurt if it doesn't but should darken some during that time.

• #156 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • DOH!

I wish I had paid attention to how big the casings were.  I would have preferred a Summer Sausage size, I guess that is about 5"!
  • #157 by Free Mr. Tony on 03 Apr 2018
  • It appears neither do I! 

Last 3 just went in ice bath, other 7 are in fridge.  I want to go cut one right now, but I would like to give it that time in the fridge before I unveil if Members will indulge me!

I also know nothing about smoking any kind of sausage or bologna.

If you want the cross section to have those attractive bits of white fat running throughout, my experience has been it will need at least a whole night in the fridge before you show us. It takes a long time for the fat to go back to that semi solid white state.
  • #158 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • OK, belly and jerky tomorrow!  That is assuming the jerky does not take all 5 grates...Or, if it does I may just hang the belly under one of the racks!
  • #159 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Apr 2018
  • I would think you could fit 1.5-2.0# jerky per rack.

How was the smoke flavor on the bologna?  Was your only disappointment the cheese?  I thought about buying some of that high heat cheese but it is expensive.
  • #160 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • Good smoke flavor, not sure if it will intensify with time, if it does, I don't want to be around it.  More spicy then I would have thought.  To me it is a weird size and I was a dummy to make it all and not order some larger casings.  I am pretty sure this is not intended to be used for sandwiches like a "regular" bologna, but if it was a real bologna size I would.  I am just not a cracker, cheese and sausage guy, and this size, that is about all it is good for!

So I will vac seal them and give them out as presents!
  • #161 by WiPelletHead on 03 Apr 2018
  • The color looks good.

As for the cheese, I would much rather slice some cheese to add with the sausage when serving it.

To me the hi temp cheese has an odd flavor and texture.
  • #162 by Bentley on 03 Apr 2018
  • Expensive and odd flavor, guess what Bentley will no longer be looking into!  I am a freak and want this on top of mine anyway!

• #163 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Apr 2018
  • try some spicy mustard on that bologna...you can cut a few slices off and put them on a sandwich...used to do that alot when i was a kid
  • #164 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Apr 2018
  • high heat cheese $10/# plus shipping on LEM and about $15/# on Amazon
  • #165 by WiPelletHead on 03 Apr 2018
  • Expensive and odd flavor, guess what Bentley will no longer be looking into!  I am a freak and want this on top of mine anyway!

I think Cheez Whiz is better. Velveeta is pretty good to!

Pages:
Actions