Pages:
Actions
  • #181 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Apr 2018
  • I cannot find the size of the cooking grates online anywhere. Judging by the pictures of a full size pan and the advertised 1,830 in^2 of cooking surface, I am assuming the grates are roughly 15"x24". Does that sound correct?

I think that is close.  I found them on the walmart site for the item the other day.  The larger unit at cabelas was only slightly bigger racks.
  • #182 by TechMOGogy on 04 Apr 2018
  • Easy Cheese Cheddar is what everyone brings me from the US (we can't get it in Canada :( )
    I love it!
    Not getting the pit hot enough for the jerky... eventually you could end up with meat full of bacteria as the warm environment can be a perfect breeding environment.
    Still can't believe this thing has a 60lb hopper!
    Great thread to follow! Thx
  • #183 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Apr 2018
  • I think there is some risk on the bacteria, but there are also some studies that a lower temp than the standard for a long period of time does the same effect to prevent bacteria.  The 140° mark seems to be a "flash" point.
  • #184 by Bentley on 04 Apr 2018
  • Key word here is Cure! 

House did not burn down, I will go pull the jerky and put up some pictures and graph!

I feel a Cobly/Jack Bacon Cheeseburger coming on!
  • #185 by BigDave83 on 04 Apr 2018
  • Burger sounds great, The Trail bologna looked pretty good, I am not a cheese in my sausage or bologna guy. Can't wait to see and hear about the jerky when it is done.

• #186 by Bentley on 04 Apr 2018
  • It's not horrible, but a bad idea on my part, should have listened to you!

I am not a cheese in my sausage or bologna guy.
  • #187 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Apr 2018
  • I thought the trail bologna was very good, a bit peppery for me, but I definitely could eat.

I thought the jerky was VERY good, nice smoke to it.  I think Bent would have preferred the Cajun mix or the jalapeno mix for a bit more heat, but went with the teriyaki for me.  I like it a lot and I usually am not that taken with his jerky.
  • #188 by Free Mr. Tony on 04 Apr 2018
  • Did the jerky come off mainly at the same time, or all different times?
  • #189 by Bentley on 04 Apr 2018
  • I just took it all off when I got home!

Did the jerky come off mainly at the same time, or all different times?
  • #190 by Bentley on 04 Apr 2018
  • Triple bacon, double cheese, double burger!  Bacon that did not have enough salt in the cure, what a waste and crying shame!  I go back to 4% on the next one!

• #191 by Bentley on 04 Apr 2018
  • 21 3/4 X 14

I cannot find the size of the cooking grates online anywhere. Judging by the pictures of a full size pan and the advertised 1,830 in^2 of cooking surface, I am assuming the grates are roughly 15"x24". Does that sound correct?
  • #192 by Mudflap on 04 Apr 2018
  • I just took it all off when I got home!

Did the jerky come off mainly at the same time, or all different times?

Nice it looks like it all cooked the same.

Mudflap
  • #193 by slaga on 04 Apr 2018
  • The math adds up to just over 1,500 in^2, which is well below the advertised 1,800 in^2. Still that is a lot if real estate to cook on for the price. For the record I am also finding information stating it is actually 4.6 ft^3, not the 5.5 ft^3 that it states on the box. Maybe some are only measuring the cooking volume and the manufacture is including all the way down to the drain pan at the bottom. I don't really know. In any case, I will probably sell one I already have and get one of these.

21 3/4 X 14

I cannot find the size of the cooking grates online anywhere. Judging by the pictures of a full size pan and the advertised 1,830 in^2 of cooking surface, I am assuming the grates are roughly 15"x24". Does that sound correct?
  • #194 by Bentley on 04 Apr 2018
  • I swear I will have to ask all who end up buy one to post and send that info off to the folks at Dansons...
  • #195 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Apr 2018
  • I wonder if you can buy additional racks and hooks for this smoker.  That would probably get the full capacity as it could probably hold 3-4 more racks for jerky, ribs, bacon, etc.

I just got back from Cabela's.  They had the larger version of this unit in a box.  I was hoping they had one assembled.  They must have had 15 grills assembled.

The bacon and jerky looked great Bentley.  What is still left to perform?
Pages:
Actions