Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Mar 2018
  • So left to right pretty consistent temps.  Front to back about 50+ degree difference and the back right looks to run the hottest.  Seems like it ran much closer to each other at the low temps which would be great for jerky.  A big hunk of meat near the front of the racks should be fine.  Cooking 2-3 racks of ribs per shelf may be challenging unless you rotated them periodically.
  • #77 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • I could see someone who entertains several times a year, family at holidays, or even just large gatherings getting it just as a warming oven.  I forgot I was going to get a few full size aluminum pans.  As soon as the hour is up on this current one I will do it!
  • #78 by Bobitis on 31 Mar 2018
  • I have heard of WSM users using sand!

I have a WSM and I think the water in the pan (as water) has a minimal effect on cooking. It's more likely a heat sink. Many will argue that aspect. I used my Weber for 3-4 years and never did any comparison cooks so this is speculation on my part. My experience is that since the WSM is run by air intake only, the heat sink is a good way to minimize temp swings while constantly baby sitting the air openings. Sand would be the same. I was booted from their site for a walmart comment (whatever  ::), but after being a member for 3 years I never read of anyone using sand with water added as a 'moisturizer'. I'm sure that the added humidity may have some effect on the cook, but it seams it would be minimal.

In this case, I'm wondering if the same rule applies. It would be interesting to see a comparison between with/without water in the pan or less pan altogether.

That said; What's the grease catching/draining system in this thing? I can find nothing on the matter. Is the water pan the grease catcher?
  • #79 by Bobitis on 31 Mar 2018
  • Where did that temp spike come from?
  • #80 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • I guess I need to start experimenting a bit.  Have gone an hour @ 225° w/water and chimney open, will now chock down chimney and see if the slight swings decrease.  I think with this type of constant fan, time/temperature feed controller (for lack of a better description) you are going to have these swings.  But having said that, they are not that sever in the heart of the shelves!
  • #81 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • I really have no idea.  My only assumption is the wires touch something and they don't like it.  And it really skews the graphs, that is what I dislike, you do not get the tight temperature gradients so you get a real idea of how little the swings are.   Even though they may look like huge bell curves, they may just be a 7° swing!

Where did that temp spike come from?
  • #82 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • Kind of a neat feature.  Was not sure if I should take the writing off or not?

• #83 by TechMOGogy on 31 Mar 2018
  • Reading through this I saw the comment on the 2/3’s full with a 40# bag... now seeing the capacity at 60lbs of pellets, this thing is wild and just keeps getting better and better it seems. Can’t wait for the cook tests!
    So far so good and great charts!
  • #84 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Mar 2018
  • what were the set temps during this graph and did you open the door or change temps at any point in time?  the answers will help assess the performance for me.
  • #85 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • I am sorry, let me edit the above post.

Speak up on more graphs...Or other testing in general before we move on to cooking!
  • #86 by Carnivorous on 31 Mar 2018
  • Looks like a slick rig!  you having fun with it now that it's setup?
  • #87 by pmillen on 31 Mar 2018

• There are four temperature peaks that are almost identical.  From this limited sample I think it’s possible that the pit will develop this standard pattern when it settles down.  It’s probable that a user who knows the pit could lower the setpoint slightly so that the temperatures oscillate equally around 225°.  It’s also likely that the back of the shelves will consistently be 20-25° higher than the front at the temperature peaks.
  • #88 by Bentley on 31 Mar 2018
  • Yes and yes!  Whomever wins this is going to be very happy!

Looks like a slick rig!  you having fun with it now that it's setup?

I guess, but you have such a limited number to choose from.  11 position, so you would have to go 200° on controller.  I guess I should run some at 200 and see where we are!

It’s probable that a user who knows the pit could lower the setpoint slightly so that the temperatures oscillate equally around 225°.
  • #89 by silverbullet on 31 Mar 2018
  • I can't wait till you start cooking with it!
  • #90 by LowSlowJoe on 31 Mar 2018
  • Interesting that the temperature swings don't get a bit lower as the temperature goes up. Most of my experience with pellet grills have swings get smaller as set temperature goes up.

But I've never been overly concerned with temperature swings,  and those shown here don't really concern me much either.
Pages:
Actions