Pages:
Actions
  • #91 by riverrat49 on 01 Apr 2018
  • Thanks Bentley for all you have done with this so far and yes if you have time at some point running it at 200* would be interesting to see it's peaks and valley's.

I guess, but you have such a limited number to choose from.  11 position, so you would have to go 200° on controller.  I guess I should run some at 200 and see where we are!

• #92 by pmillen on 01 Apr 2018
  • But I've never been overly concerned with temperature swings,  and those shown here don't really concern me much either.

I'm not very concerned with temp swings as long as they're somewhat compensating.  These aren't.  I'd move the set point so they improve in that regard.  And moving the set point will still leave what may be a 50° swing up and down.  That's a little too extreme, even for me. 

Different strokes.
  • #93 by jasonjax on 01 Apr 2018
  • So this is the 5.5 and you're able to get 5 full pans on... wow .... wonder if that's translates to 7 on the 7ft model ...
  • #94 by slaga on 01 Apr 2018
  • Temp swings when empty are always larger than temp swings with a pit full of food. I never cook anything in mine that these temp swings would hurt. I still hope I win the raffle.
  • #95 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Apr 2018
  • So this is the 5.5 and you're able to get 5 full pans on... wow .... wonder if that's translates to 7 on the 7ft model ...

Looks like 7 comes with 5 racks also and is about 5" higher
  • #96 by pmillen on 01 Apr 2018
  • Temp swings when empty are always larger than remp swings with a pit full of food.

I didn't know that.  So these tests with an empty pit aren't to be taken seriously?
  • #97 by Bentley on 01 Apr 2018
  • I think you both make good points.

I just cant remember who wanted the tests done with a load in the unit.  I guess it does not matter.  I think a full aluminum pan might be a bit much, but maybe a 9 x 12  with water on center shelf and then temps on grates above it and below it?

I will do tests as long as you all say what you want.  Like I said, even as cheap a screw as I am, I can handle .13 cents/lb.

Temp swings when empty are always larger than remp swings with a pit full of food.

I didn't know that.  So these tests with an empty pit aren't to be taken seriously?
  • #98 by riverrat49 on 01 Apr 2018
  • It will be interesting to see what happens when food is added.
  • #99 by Bentley on 01 Apr 2018
  • OK, water in water pan, <5mph, chimney open 1 finger, and probes in same "sweet spot" configuration, controller set at 200°.  Lets see what an hour shows us and then I think I will go with the tray of water on shelf 3 and probes on 2 & 4!
  • #100 by Bentley on 01 Apr 2018
  • I did not realize how late it was when I started this.  Was thinking it was early afternoon.  Just added more water, will run till 6 and then start again to morrow.  It appears everyone has seen the temps and locations they wanted so tomorrow will probably end that portion of this review.
  • #101 by slaga on 01 Apr 2018
  • Temp swings when empty are always larger than remp swings with a pit full of food.

That is not what I said at all. People have put plate steel, fire bricks, sand, etc. in their Treagers for years to reduce temperature swings. All they are doing is adding a mass that is slower to change temperature to keep the overall temperature more constant. The same thing happens when you fill up your pit with food. The temperature swings will be smaller than an empty pit. Knowing where the hotter areas vs. the cooler areas of the of the pit is extremely nice to know. The graphs are very informative and I appreciate Bentley' s efforts.
  • #102 by slaga on 01 Apr 2018
  • I think you both make good points.

I just cant remember who wanted the tests done with a load in the unit.  I guess it does not matter.  I think a full aluminum pan might be a bit much, but maybe a 9 x 12  with water on center shelf and then temps on grates above it and below it?

I will do tests as long as you all say what you want.  Like I said, even as cheap a screw as I am, I can handle .13 cents/lb.

Temp swings when empty are always larger than remp swings with a pit full of food.

I don't think anyone asked you to fill up the smoker. Thank you for running these tests!
  • #103 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Apr 2018
  • does the water pan go all the way to the back wall of the smoker or is there a gap for hot air to travel up the back and make that part of the grill hotter?
  • #104 by okie smokie on 01 Apr 2018
  • Set at 200°, 1st hour chimney at 1 finger setting.  Add water, 2nd hour water pan full and chimney screwed down to 0 fingers.  I simply do not understand back left.

I am confused as to why you lowered the chimney cap to 0 at 200* the second hour.  Is the zero setting mean that the cap is closed or just visibly looks that way from the side view.   I noticed that the resulting temps were below 200*.   Except for back left.
  • #105 by LowSlowJoe on 01 Apr 2018
  • Personally I've never been able to see any difference with temperature swings and added mass. I added fire bricks to my junior and I know for sure I still had pretty big temperature swings
Pages:
Actions