Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Conumdrum on 29 Mar 2018
  • Time for the spring cleaning. First emptied the pellets out and used the prime function to get all the pellets out of the auger. Scraped lots of gunk off the two piece diffuser with a strong metal scraper. Pretty gunked up mainly from a 6 pork butt cook. Scraped the bottom and some sides with the plastic scraper. Got out the cheapo 1600 PSI $80 pressure washer, cleaned the grates and the two piece diffuser.

Covered the inside temp probe with lots of foil to protect the water getting into the seam. Then I went to town with the washer. I used no soap at all. Was pretty careful about the seam areas. Amazing what that little pressure washer got out. Used no soap, washed the outside but no direct spray on the control panel.

That was yesterday. It dried overnight and I put it all together, wiping out the pellet bin, it just had dust, sprayed the grates with PAM and added pellets. It's humming along at a nice 350f for an hour. Started right up like a champ.

In August of 2018 I will have had my Yoder for 5 years. No failures of fans, igniter, temp probe. No burn back/auger fires.

It's a tank and I'm so glad I spent more and bought a quality unit.

Thanks Yoder! :D
  • #2 by TLK on 29 Mar 2018
  • I am ready for my spring cleaning as well but never took a power washer to it.  I scrape it down, vacuum out and give it a general cleaning but not the extent that you are taking it to.  I am a little hesitant as I turned mine into a built-in unit
  • #3 by okie smokie on 29 Mar 2018
  • I am ready for my spring cleaning as well but never took a power washer to it.  I scrape it down, vacuum out and give it a general cleaning but not the extent that you are taking it to.  I am a little hesitant as I turned mine into a built-in unit
    How about using vac, paint scraper, and lots of damp old rags to wipe off most of the soot and dust.  I don't see a need to get it spotless.  Just don't want loose soot or stalagtites to get onto my food.  My stainless grates can go into my house oven on clean cycle.  Chimney can be removed and scraped with curved spatula or curved piece of wood before washing it in a sudsy tub with a new toilet brush.  Will use the same gasket if it is still intact. After 2.5 years, not too much to do.
  • #4 by Conumdrum on 29 Mar 2018
  • Hehe, mine wasn't or will be spotless.  I have used old rags 'n scrapers for years.  I still got some grease slime on the bottom, why remove it?  No reason to.

I don't have soot or stalagmites except on the bottom of my two piece diffuser, they scraped right off.

I have cleaned the chimney just as you say, but not till year 3. 

I'm more saying it's a great unit.  Yoder is the best.

It's not a car, it's a smoker. :)

• #5 by TLK on 30 Mar 2018
  • Scrape, vacuum, clean the grates and go.  Doesn’t need to be spotless for me.  Like Okie said...”it’s a smoker”
Pages:
Actions