Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Quadman750 on 02 Sep 2017
  • How long do you Smoke for & at what temp or do you smoke to an internal temp. What temp do you set your Memphis at when you reverse sear? Or do you set to F1,F2 or F3. I have never reverse seared before so was wondering what method other Memphis users are using.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Sep 2017
  • I only do half the process.  I usually cook the steak on 250 on the Elite for about 45-60 minutes.
  • #3 by Bentley on 02 Sep 2017
  • Don't like the process, so cant give you any help.
  • #4 by Quadman750 on 02 Sep 2017
  • Don't like the process, so cant give you any help.

Do you just cook your steak over your direct flame insert with high heat?
  • #5 by Bentley on 02 Sep 2017
  • Mine was like one of the 1st Memphis Pro's...no inserts for my 2010 model.  But yes, I am a traditionalist and my ways/style die hard!  Set MP at 650°, 2 minutes flip and 45°, I do that 3 more times.  By then the steak is usually 105-110°.  I flip one last time, I stick the Maverick probe in the middle of the steak, I shut the pit off and in about 2-3 minutes the temp is 125° and it gets pulled...buy the time it gets to the table it has rested 3-4 minutes and it is 130-135° and I am golden!

Just a true seared steak cooked with hardwood!  You all with those inserts, that is sweet stuff, a true Hardwood Grilled Steak!
  • #6 by Quadman750 on 02 Sep 2017
  • Well I think I will give this a try.
  • #7 by Quadman750 on 04 Sep 2017
  • Well I ended not doing the reverse sear. I cooked over the direct flame for about 7-8mins per side. Turned out great.

• #8 by ZCZ on 05 Sep 2017
  • Typically with a thick Costco Steak I sear at 600° without the Direct Flame Insert.
    2.5 minutes then rotate 90° for another 2.5 minutes to get the cross-hatch sear marks.  Flip for another 4-6 depending on how they like it.  I usually do mine for a total of 10 and it comes out medium to medium rare.  Have found it is great to do the veggies the last 5 minutes on the upper rack.  Usually beans or asparagus.

Was thinking of trying a reverse sear on my next steak cook.  Have never done it.

Z
  • #9 by ZCZ on 05 Sep 2017
  • Here's a sample

[ Invalid Attachment ]

And a shot showing typical finish on the inside
  • #10 by Quadman750 on 05 Sep 2017
  • Those look great, really good sear marks
  • #11 by Quadman750 on 05 Sep 2017
  • Here is the plated shot

• #12 by ZCZ on 07 Sep 2017
  • Here is the plated shot

Looks good Quadman!  I LOOOOVE steak and mushrooms!  Can't beat it.

Z
  • #13 by bregent on 12 Sep 2017
  • I like to reverse sear if I'm doing really thick steaks, or pork loin or chops. But I don't use a single grill because it takes too long for the Memphis to get from low-and-slow to max sear temp. So I will smoke around 225 until the piece gets to 5-10 degrees on desired final IT, and then finish on either my preheated gasser or cast iron pan. For steaks 1" or less, direct flame on the Memphis.
  • #14 by ShireSteve on 14 Sep 2017
  • Tried reverse searing a boneless ribeye a while back.
    150F until IT of 120, then seared, rested then devoured. Was very happy with the outcome, even though I completely underestimated the cook time.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
    • ShireSteve
  • #15 by Quadman750 on 14 Sep 2017
  • Looks good, I see you got a smoke ring as well
Pages:
Actions