Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Queball on 14 Sep 2017
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
    • Queball
  • #17 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2017
  • Is that rare or medium rare in your home?
  • #18 by Quadman750 on 15 Sep 2017
  • That looks sooooo good.
  • #19 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • Bentley,

The juices have to run clear, not red, or "Her Majesty" will not be a happy camper. So, I believe, steak cooked here would be a bit to well done for your liking. That steak was set in the PG's warming drawer up to an IT of @135. It was flipped every 15 minutes in the drawer. Once to IT, the cooker was set at 450 indirect, the steak lightly oiled and then char broiled "super quick" to sear on both sides in zone 1 with the door open.
    • Queball
  • #20 by Bentley on 15 Sep 2017
  • So that was the cross section before the sear?
  • #21 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • Nope. After the sear. .... Real hot, real quick.
    • Queball
  • #22 by Bentley on 15 Sep 2017
  • All I can assume from what you have stated about cooked steak in the household is that the picture is deceiving.  To me that is an almost perfect looking medium rare...But it sounds like nothing under medium well would get served?  If asked what the internal temperature of that meat was dead center, I would say 130° to MAYBE 135°...what am I missing?

Any idea what the IT was of that cut steak?
  • #23 by pz on 15 Sep 2017
  • My goodness that looks perfect  :clap:
  • #24 by Queball on 15 Sep 2017
  • Bentley,
    Itake it out of the warming drawer at about 135 to 138. Then I turn the PG up. I've stated 450 but it might be more around 500. It's hot enough that I need to wear a glove to protect my hand. I lightly spray the steak with canola oil , put it on the char grate and press it with a wide spatula. wait turn it 45 degrees and press. The door remains open so there is no top down cooking of the meat.

I can't tell you what temp medium rare or whatever is. The focus is that the juices run clear not red. That 138 range and then a sear seems to be the sweet spot. Truth is, I don't do steak like that anymore. That reverse sear takes far too much time. Also, flipping it in the warming drawer often is really important because down there only the top area of the drawer  gets more heat. So to keep the meat balanced I flip it.
    • Queball
  • #25 by Bentley on 15 Sep 2017
  • 135° is medium rare to me...so no idea where you end up.  Not even sure what temperature it would take for juice to run clear.  The picture of that steak looks like a picture perfect medium rare.  Well done!
  • #26 by Queball on 17 Sep 2017
  • And I Thank You, Sir. It produces nice results, but to me, it just takes too long to reverse sear. I really don't do much of that anymore.
    • Queball
Pages:
Actions