Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Greg1 on 30 Mar 2018
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality 10" or 12" slicing knife.  My budget won't allow for the high end knifes.  I understand you get what you pay for, but I am seeing if anyone has and recommendations for a solid knife in the $25-$30 dollar range.  Guessing it's a long shot but thought it was worth a shot.  Appreciate any and all responses.
  • #2 by smokindad on 30 Mar 2018
  • I have been very pleased with my Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Slicing Knife, Black Fibrox Handle.  Mostly use it on brisket and rib roasts.  Has stayed very sharp only with simple honing.  Check out Amazon the price is about $40.

• #3 by leppolite on 30 Mar 2018
  • I recently purchased this one on the big A...its sort of multipurpose but its sharp, slices well and only $14.

Dexter-Russell Basics P94804B 10" Scalloped Slicer/Bread Knife with Black Polypropylene Handle
  • #4 by Osborn Cox on 30 Mar 2018
  • I have been very pleased with my Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Slicing Knife, Black Fibrox Handle.  Mostly use it on brisket and rib roasts.  Has stayed very sharp only with simple honing.  Check out Amazon the price is about $40.

+1
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Mar 2018
  • If you have access to the Restaurant Depot, you could find one there.  I think they sell Dexter.  I have a few Dexter knives and they work fine for me.
  • #6 by Darwin on 31 Mar 2018
  • Good advice given above.  The big box membership stores might have a limited selection.
  • #7 by verapx on 31 Mar 2018
  • Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia 11" Granton Edge Slicer Knife
    That’s what I use.
  • #8 by reubenray on 01 Apr 2018
  • If you have access to the Restaurant Depot, you could find one there.  I think they sell Dexter.  I have a few Dexter knives and they work fine for me.

How does Dexter compare to Victorinix?  I will be going to KnifeWorks in Tennessee in a few days to look for a knife for slicing.  I have two of the Victorinix knifes with the granton edge.
  • #9 by reubenray on 01 Apr 2018

How does Dexter or Mercer compare to Victorinix?  I will be going to KnifeWorks in Tennessee in a few days to look for a knife for slicing.  I have two of the Victorinix knifes with the granton edge.
  • #10 by cookingjnj on 01 Apr 2018
  • Thanks for starting this thread Greg.  I am also looking for a slicing knife.  Right now I have been using a 8 inch all purpose type knife. 
  • #11 by glitchy on 01 Apr 2018
  • Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia 11" Granton Edge Slicer Knife
    That’s what I use.

I just ordered this for $15 to try. If I like it and it doesn’t last I’ll order the Victorinox then. I have been using an electric and been happy that’s why I tried the cheaper first.
  • #12 by verapx on 01 Apr 2018
  • I bought a guard for mine and never put it in the sink with other dishes, it will take a slice out of your finger. I use a steel on mine and it's as sharp as the day I got it.
  • #13 by Osborn Cox on 04 Apr 2018

How does Dexter or Mercer compare to Victorinix?  I will be going to KnifeWorks in Tennessee in a few days to look for a knife for slicing.  I have two of the Victorinix knifes with the granton edge.

I have several Dexter knives and several Victorinox knives.    IMO they hold their edge about the same, and have been happy with both.  Dexter are a little more cost effective, Restaurant Depot has pretty good prices and selection on them.
  • #14 by Greg1 on 10 Apr 2018
  • I ordered and received the Mercer Culinary M23011 slicing Knife.  I have only used it to slice and cube 8lbs of brisket point into burnt ends, but was very happy with how it performed.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Apr 2018
  • Glad you are happy with what you bought.  I am not big on spending big bucks on knives like I do on most other things.  I just keep buying $20 or so one's until I find what works for my needs.
Pages:
Actions