Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by dieselr88 on 11 Apr 2018
  • i just got a Mercer M23720 slicer and used on a brisket this past weekend - only used on the brisket so far, but seemed to work very well
  • #17 by urnmor on 11 Apr 2018
  • To me knives are personal cook tools and no one size fits all.  I say you go to a number of stores that sell knives and feel them to how they feel in the palm of your hand, the weight of them and of course the quality of build. 
    also know matter how expensive the knife if you do not keep a good edge on them they will fail you, so if you do not have a good knife sharpener I would recommend you also look into buying one.  At least for me I found the chef knife to be my go to knife along with my pairing knives. :cool:
  • #18 by RichW on 11 Apr 2018
  • I have two Kirby knives an 8" and 10", and I can tell you that I use the 8" - 10 times more often. since it handles much easier and has the vertical eyelet reliefs that keep everything I slice from sticking to the side of the knife.  Kirby knifes are at some restaurant supplies for around $40 bucks and both of these knives are at least 10 years old and only need to use the simple drawn carbide to keep them dangerously sharp.
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Nov 2021
  • I have been a cheap screw when it comes to knives.  A few weeks ago, I helped my brother do some prep work for a catering job and had to cut about 100# of red potatoes.  I used a Mercer Genesis 10" chef knife he had.  It was so sharp, balanced, light, and had a great grip.  It is not top of the line, but it was better than anything I ever used.  Unfortunately, its been on backorder at the Restaurant Store where he bought his.  I found a 9" on Amazon for about $35 so I ordered it instead of the $55 10".  Will see how I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B1AG7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • #20 by pmillen on 13 Nov 2021
  • According to the Amazon listing, that knife is x50 Cr Mo V15 steel.  That’s pretty good knife steel, used in many German knives.  It’s not particularly hard, ≈56 HRC (Rockwell).  That means it’s easy to grind and it’s not likely to chip because it’s not brittle.  But it sacrifices a bit in edge-holding ability so in hard use it will need to be frequently corrected with a butcher’s steel and the bevel will sometimes require “tuning up” with a grindstone.  See Hammer Stahl 14-inch Slicing Knife for a more in-depth discussion of X50CrMoV15 stainless steel’s properties.

The 15% chromium gives it excellent corrosion resistance so it will continue to look clean and shiny for as long as the blade lasts through years of regrinding.  Also, it appears to be the generally preferred forged blade.

I think it’s a good choice and a good buy.
  • #21 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • Looks like a good Chefs knife!
  • #22 by 02ebz06 on 13 Nov 2021
  • I have been a cheap screw when it comes to knives.  A few weeks ago, I helped my brother do some prep work for a catering job and had to cut about 100# of red potatoes.  I used a Mercer Genesis 10" chef knife he had.  It was so sharp, balanced, light, and had a great grip.  It is not top of the line, but it was better than anything I ever used.  Unfortunately, its been on backorder at the Restaurant Store where he bought his.  I found a 9" on Amazon for about $35 so I ordered it instead of the $55 10".  Will see how I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B1AG7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little late, but you could have ordered the 10" from Amazon.
    On that page for the 9" knife is a "size" button, and you could select the 10" Chef Knife there.
    It's $58.64 though.
    I guess the 9" is a better bargain,  but at the expense of being a little smaller.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Nov 2021
  • Yeah, I consciously went cheap.  If I don't like the 9" versions, I will return it and buy the 10" version.
  • #24 by Canadian John on 14 Nov 2021

•  My  :2cents:

- Get an edge guard and use it. Or store it either in a block or on a magnetic holder. Sharp knives need respect and protection.... Lee Valley has excellent inexpensive blade guards.

- Using a steel to realign the blade either before or after use helps maintain the edge. A touch-up during a long cutting session may also help.

- Once it eventually dulls, it should be properly sharpened.
  • #25 by BigDave83 on 14 Nov 2021
  • I rarely use a chefs knife. I have 2 of the Misen knives when they  first came on Kickstarter. I have used one of them a couple times. I usually end up using the Henkels International (China Made) santuko in place of chefs knife. I did add a 6" chef knife to my cart for the next order. I seem to like the shorter knives for most of what I do. I have been using a Mercer 6" boning knife for a few years, I like the feel of it in my hand better than the popular Victorinox one I have.

Those Mercer blade guards are nice also I have them on several of my knives.

Any one use a Ceramic knives? I bought a cheap set and I like them for some things.
  • #26 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Nov 2021
  • There is a post by bobitis on the ceramic knives.  Wonder whatever happened to that guy?

As for the Mercer, I had a knife in my hand that felt more comfortable than that 10" chef's knife.
  • #27 by Canadian John on 14 Nov 2021

•  CERAMIC KNIFE - Well: I had one. It cut well, nothing spectacular.  It was the rage @ the  time a few years back..

The downside: -A) extremely brittle, easily chipped or broken. Not for chopping or prying.  B) Can't sharpen, that is with anything homeowner.
Pages:
Actions