Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Sodaking27 on 31 Mar 2018
  • After looking at these every time we went to Walmart, I finally took the plunge today.
    Pit Boss Austin XL. Was really impressed how well this thing was packaged. Discovered that there were a couple of scratches on the pellet hopper though. Had to happen before it was packaged. Took about 45 minuets to get it put together. Just finished the initial burn in. Set it for 450 and it hung right in there for the 30 minuets. Going to make the Pit Boss carrot cake that’s posted on their web site later. It will be next weekend before I can get a couple shoulders on it to break it in properly.
  • #2 by ylr on 31 Mar 2018
  • All right, another Pit Boss owner!  :cool: Eagerly awaiting to see how it does!
  • #3 by GrillinGlen on 31 Mar 2018
  • cool, i stop and look at those every time i have to go to wally world.  Been thinking about the other one to get and keep at work, looks pretty good for $396
  • #4 by silverbullet on 31 Mar 2018
  • Looks Nice! I have yet to see these @ our local Walmart. I think Danson's/Louisiana may have a good thing going with these pits.
  • #5 by Sodaking27 on 01 Apr 2018
  • Taking it back.. set the temp to 350 and it hit 475 and was still climbing. Shut it down, checked everything and tried it again. Same results. Called Pit Boss customer support. No help whatsoever. One and done for me.
  • #6 by Ross77 on 01 Apr 2018
  • That's disappointing.  Must be the temp probe.  It's too bad customer service wouldn't help.
  • #7 by triplebq on 01 Apr 2018
  • I'm thinking of buying one for my brother who is new to smoking meat.
  • #8 by ylr on 01 Apr 2018
  • Sorry to hear that!  :( I had an issue when I first got mine three years ago, and Danson's picked up the phone. They helped me out right away, and I was able to get the 820 going. Maybe they change the way they do things now, since they are a lot bigger than three years ago?
  • #9 by smokin soon on 01 Apr 2018
  • Not being familiar with that controller, I was wondering if the plugs for the cabinet fan and auger are switched?
  • #10 by Sodaking27 on 08 Apr 2018
  • Not being familiar with that controller, I was wondering if the plugs for the cabinet fan and auger are switched?
    Checked all the connections, everything was connected correctly. I tried working with their customer support several times before taking it back. Every time they would tell me something different that didn’t make sense. I’ve been using a pellet grill for over ten years. I even called and requested to speak with a supervisor. They transferred me and I got voice mail. I left a message. After two days of not hearing anything, I returned it. Finally I got a call and he apologized for all the wrong info I was given by their customer support. He said it definitely was an issue with the grill and not something I was doing. I informed him it was to late as I had returned the grill. He gave me his direct number to call if I decide to purchase another in the future.  Still trying to decide if I want to try it again. Would love to hear feedback from other Austin XL owners.
  • #11 by Canadian John on 08 Apr 2018
  •  WOW! In a way it is a good thing it went South from the start and you were able to return it.. Perhaps the price told the story... On to the next one. Good luck!
  • #12 by wyd on 11 Apr 2018
  • Too bad as that was a really nice deal at that price but if it don't work that is a problem.  That is the one thing about pellets grills vs my nice old Weber Kettles is that I control the temp on the Kettle vs the Pellet grill the electronics do it.  Guess that's why I have both so I'm always covered. :bbq:
Pages:
Actions