Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chashub on 04 Apr 2018
  • Hey all,
    I'm ready to try butcher paper.  With foil, it has the ability to form a crease and kind of seal itself. Does butcher paper have the same property to crease and hold a seal, or do you use string of something else to hold it together?
  • #2 by Conumdrum on 04 Apr 2018
  • You use a larger piece and fold it.  Many tutorials on youtube etc.
  • #3 by triplebq on 04 Apr 2018
  • Hey all,
    I'm ready to try butcher paper.  With foil, it has the ability to form a crease and kind of seal itself. Does butcher paper have the same property to crease and hold a seal, or do you use string of something else to hold it together?

No butcher paper doesn't have the ability to seal. But just overlap a couple of slices or get some paper that is wide like 24" or 36". Mine is 18" and I just overlap.
  • #4 by Bob The Smoker on 05 Apr 2018
  • I overlap and use blue painters tape.
  • #5 by triplebq on 05 Apr 2018
  • I overlap and use blue painters tape.

Great idea. Hadn't thought about that.
  • #6 by glitchy on 05 Apr 2018
  • Is blue painters tape FDA approved? I've seen several pics of people using it but worry about using a product with adhesive in a grill. At what temps do the glues break down, what chemicals were the glues made of, etc.
  • #7 by Ralphie on 06 Apr 2018
  • Are there different types of butcher paper?  Or is butcher paper just butcher paper? 
  • #8 by Craig in Indy on 06 Apr 2018
  • Some butcher paper has a wax-based coating on one side. You want to avoid that.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 06 Apr 2018
  • Are there different types of butcher paper?  Or is butcher paper just butcher paper?

I think most butcher paper is white or peach, the waxed stuff is freezer paper, the only time I have ever gotten it fromt he butcher is when we bought large quantities of meat that was cut wrapped and frozen.

I have tried it bought the big white 24" long roll from Sams, I think putting the meat in a steam pan and covering the top works just as well and is easier at least to me.
  • #10 by Bentley on 06 Apr 2018
  • Never tried it, like the way mine comes out.  Did you find any difference in the bark?  That is what I have observed from the comments I read, that the bark is not effected.  I dislike bark on Brisket, so probably a reason why I have never tried it!  And why I use your pan and foil method!

I have tried it bought the big white 24" long roll from Sams, I think putting the meat in a steam pan and covering the top works just as well and is easier at least to me.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 06 Apr 2018
  • The bark was more dried which is okay but if it seems like if the bark is to hard the meat is to hard to slice nicely and shreds or frays. I have only done maybe 6 or 8 briskets, they are difficult to find here unless you want to pay 7 bucks a pound, I will by decent steaks for a little more.
  • #12 by Ssteppe on 07 Apr 2018
  • I use white, non-waxed. Just fold it under and place seam side down.
  • #13 by Michael_NW on 08 Apr 2018
  • I use the peach-colored paper. I have had no issues with improper sealing; I just fold it over and under and it seals just fine. I use it for ribs, pork butt, brisket, fish . . . anything for which I would normally use foil.
  • #14 by DMAXNAZ on 03 Sep 2018
  • Borrowed some from a friend. Waiting for the cook to finish now. So looking online there are a few different people selling the pink/peach paper. Is it all created equal? Some claim all this and that about theirs. I do know that I will get 24in. I was wrestling around with the 18in a little too much at 3am.
  • #15 by triplebq on 03 Sep 2018
  • I'm sure you can find all different kinds. I purchased mine from Webstaurant Store. You can search for it online.
Pages:
Actions