Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 05 Apr 2018
  • I have been using a 12" smoke tube for anything I smoke over 3 hours.  I was told that the Smoke Daddy Smoke Generator would give me a lot more smoke.

Is this true or not?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Apr 2018
  • I have only read about challenges trying to get a blue smoke out of the generator.
  • #3 by Mikro on 05 Apr 2018
  • I have owned a Smoke Daddy generator before. I sent it back. Yes it made a lot of WHITE smoke, it always had a creosote problem in the smoke chamber and tube, and required me to tend to it constantly. Smoke tube is a better choice in my opinion.
    mk
  • #4 by Ralphie on 05 Apr 2018
  • This may be a good place to ask.  Can somebody describe the difference between blue and white smoke and all that it entails relative to cooking food?  Thanks!
  • #5 by Ross77 on 05 Apr 2018
  • The white smoke is strong and bitter. The blue smoke is subtle/clean.

Others may have more insights but that sums it up for me.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Apr 2018
  • The white smoke is strong and bitter. The blue smoke is subtle/clean.

Others may have more insights but that sums it up for me.

Good, concise answer.  Couldn't have said it better.
  • #7 by Ralphie on 05 Apr 2018
  • I've seen pictures on this site of ribs and brisket with significant smoke rings.  Does that reaction occur with blue smoke?
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Apr 2018
  • I've seen pictures on this site of ribs and brisket with significant smoke rings.  Does that reaction occur with blue smoke?

It is not related at all to smoke.  It is some chemical reaction.  I don't remember the specifics.  I know when I had an electric Cookshack that used wood for flavor in a box over a heating element, it created no smoke ring at all.  I remember recommendations to add hardwood lump charcoal in the wood box with the wood to get a smoke ring.
  • #9 by Bentley on 05 Apr 2018
  • I am not sure on this.  Yes, adding nitrites can form an artificial smoke ring.  But a smoke ring is produced by wood smoke too!  I believe your electric Cookshack statement, 1st time I have ever heard it.  You are sure that smoke was being produced?

I think if you take 3 briskets, rub one with say TQ and cook in an electric oven it will have a "ring" that looks artificial to me, but most would say smoke ring, take a 2nd brisket with nothing on it and cook it in a gas oven, it will have no "ring" and take a 3rd with nothing on it and cook with hardwood you will most definitely have a smoke ring.

This is why your Cookshack cooks puzzle me so much!

It is not related at all to smoke.  It is some chemical reaction.  I don't remember the specifics.  I know when I had an electric Cookshack that used wood for flavor in a box over a heating element, it created no smoke ring at all.  I remember recommendations to add hardwood lump charcoal in the wood box with the wood to get a smoke ring.
  • #10 by Ross77 on 05 Apr 2018
  • Here is a lengthy explanation from Meathead:

amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Bentley, he does mention sodium nitrate can also produce a smoke ring.

“The smoke ring is an interaction between a pink protein in meat named myoglobin with the gases nitric oxide (NO) and carbon monoxide (CO). NO and CO are made by the combination of carbon and nitrogen with oxygen during the combustion of wood or charcoal. The white billowy stuff has nothing to do with the process.”
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Apr 2018
  • I am not sure on this.  Yes, adding nitrites can form an artificial smoke ring.  But a smoke ring is produced by wood smoke too!  I believe your electric Cookshack statement, 1st time I have ever heard it.  You are sure that smoke was being produced?

I think if you take 3 briskets, rub one with say TQ and cook in an electric oven it will have a "ring" that looks artificial to me, but most would say smoke ring, take a 2nd brisket with nothing on it and cook it in a gas oven, it will have no "ring" and take a 3rd with nothing on it and cook with hardwood you will most definitely have a smoke ring.

This is why your Cookshack cooks puzzle me so much!

The reason I got rid of the Cookshack was because I put too much wood it the box one time and the excessive smoke was full of creosote that I couldn't get out of the grill.  Everything I cooked after that day was bitter.  So, yes, there was certainly smoke.
  • #12 by Redapple on 08 Apr 2018
  • As written by Texas monthly...
    "The smoke ring is already within the meat in the form of myoglobin. It’s the protein that makes raw meat red or pink. As the meat cooks, myoglobin turns brown, but if enough nitric oxide (NO) from the wood smoke condenses on your meat, it will bind with the still-red myoglobin and allow it to hold onto its color. So the smoke ring is really a remnant. It’s a biological marker of how quickly the meat cooked, and how much NO was able to stick to the meat before it turned brown throughout".

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-science-of-the-smoke-ring/

For what's its worth, I use the Amazin Tube on my GMG DB, and it is fine for me...
  • #13 by reubenray on 08 Apr 2018
  • I guess I will be sticking with my smoke tube.  I read several reviews about the bad smoke and the creosoting issue of the Smoke Daddy.
  • #14 by ScottWood on 10 Apr 2018
  • I've had a Smoke Daddy generator for a long time and it took me quite a while to get it figured out.  The two things that really helped me was using a really high charcoal to wood ratio.  Something like 80% charcoal and 20% wood.  As for that, using wood chips works a lot better than using pellets.  I also find that having a really high air flow rate is important.  It means that the charcoal / wood mixture burns a lot faster and I have to top it off a lot more frequently, but I pretty much only use it for cold smoking things like cheese.
  • #15 by BigDave83 on 11 Apr 2018
  • I have never tried the charcoal in the wood box in my cookshack, but then I never worried about a ring. Love my little electric cookshack, 14 years old and never misses a beat.

I have tried several of the smoke generators and I am not convinced they really add much to the meat cook, nice for cheese and some cooked and peeled eggs though.
Pages:
Actions