Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auger Tube Size  (Read 782 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Auger Tube Size
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »

Does anyone know offhand what the actual auger tube size specification is for grills that use a 1.5" auger?  This is for a homemade grill project I'm working on.  What I have so far is that it is Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tubing which has no internal weld visible.  It is either 42mm x 1.5mm, 43mm x 2mm or 1 5/8" x .049" outer diameter x wall thickness.       
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:38:29 PM by JoeGrilling »

JoeGrilling

Re: Auger Tube Size
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »

I busted open my Traeger hopper today and removed the auger bushing to make measurements.  It looks like the 42 mm x 1.5 mm is the winner with an ID of 1.535".  My guess is the 1 5/8" x .049" with an ID of 1.527" is close enough since metric tubing is so rare in the US.

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:41:02 AM »

So, when do we get Picts of your project? You got me interested now

JoeGrilling

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:30:29 AM »

No pictures yet.  I've measuring my existing grill and CAD'ing preliminary drawings.  I did order some of the parts from Smoke Daddy since I plan to do the auger assembly first.  Progress for now will be slow since I have a few other home projects to get out the way like tax season.  I've also been talking to a few people along the way that have worked around pellet grills for ideas.  My basic criteria for the design is as follows:

1. 24" x 39" two level grill area.  Each grill is made up of three 24" x 13" stainless steel grill grates that can be put in the dish washer.  These will be made from 5/16" 304 stainless. 
2. Double wall insulated construction.  I'm thinking ceramic insulation with 11 steel gauge walls.   
3. WIFI controller.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »

Just a thought on the auger tube..You may want to consider 304 SS as it is in the firepot and subJect to some harsh conditions..I had my Traeger auger tube erode back past where it entered the firepot, in 5 years.  :2cents:

JoeGrilling

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »

Just a thought on the auger tube..You may want to consider 304 SS as it is in the firepot and subject to some harsh conditions..I had my Traeger auger tube erode back past where it entered the firepot, in 5 years.  :2cents:

I thought about stainless.  There are a bunch of guys making and selling stainless firepots out there.  I'm thinking they may be 304 versus the harder to weld 430.    I ordered a section of chrome moly for prototyping just because it was a size that would work.  The best bet would be 42 mm (OD) x 39 mm (ID) in 304 but this may be nearly impossible to find.       
Pages: [1]   Go Up