Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: National Jerky Day  (Read 1650 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
National Jerky Day
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »

It's June 12th..Do you plan on doing jerky on this day?  There are lots of recipes out there for those first timers or those that want to venture into new territory..

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Re: National Jerky Day
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »

Might be cheating but I use my Cabela's jerky gun and just do ground beef strips. Works for me and the wife and is super easy. If weather permits I will have to mark the calendar.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:33:16 PM by Th3Batman86 »
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »

Canada or USA?  I'll celebrate regardless.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »

I have the mix, I wish I had a jerky gun, I would like to try the ground beef snack strips, I think the mix would be more intense and I would enjoy that more.  If I am reminded of the day I probably will!

I guess I will try and figure out how to hold my canister and crank out some snack stick size on some mats!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:55:06 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »

I have the mix, I wish I had a jerky gun, I would like to try the ground beef snack strips, I think the mix would be more intense and I would enjoy that more.  If I am reminded of the day I probably will!

I bought this for my LEM grinder but have not tried it or the grinder yet - burgers, jerky, snack sticks.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/big-bite-patty-jerky-snack-stick-maker/butcher-meat-grinder-attachments
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »

That would be the ticket.  Larry had the LEM patty maker.  This says patties, is that adjustable?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »

One of you folks -- or both -- should do a member review of these products.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »

That would be the ticket.  Larry had the LEM patty maker.  This says patties, is that adjustable?

If you leave the plate attachment off, it makes 1/2" high x 4" wide patty that just keeps rolling onto the 16" ramp.  Make a full 16" and then cut in 4 or make an 8" long patty for a hamburger sub sandwich.  There is a plate for 3/8" thick patties, a plate for 3/16" x 13/16" jerky strips of 3 at a time, and a plate for 1/2" diameter snack sticks that makes 4 sticks at a time without casings.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »

I will once I use it. May have a chance in April.  If not, it will definitely be May as I don't think I am traveling for work much then.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »

I have the Jerky cannon from Cabelas with extra tubes, buy and extra tube or so when you buy it.
I also have a Nesco BJX5 got it off amazon for like 15 bucks 3 or 4 years ago when I started doing stuffed jalapenos I used it to stuff the sausage mix into them. It works decently I used it a few weeks ago to do 5 pound of ground meat jerky, this is perfect for the Cheap Screw as they give you seasoning with the kit and it does strips and sticks. It is all pretty much all plastic, but cleans up easy and cheap enough should it break.

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »

I will attempt to remember to take some photos next time I use it.  I have 40lb of ground beef chubs coming in next week so weather permitting should be soon. I looked at the LEM jerky gun and the Cabela's. The Cabela's swayed me with the lifetime warranty if anyone is having the same debate.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »

I guess I will try and figure out how to hold my canister and crank out some snack stick size on some mats!

Bentley, I believe you could grind the beef and mix the seasoning packet into it, roll it out to the thickness you want, and use a knife or pizza cutter to make the strips the size you want for the ground meat jerky.  Then, smoke or dehydrate.

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 04:56:13 PM »

MMM JERKY...

Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »

It seems I buy this stuff and only use it once.  That is what I did with my $12 SS snack piping tube.  This is $20 + shipping on Amazon.  Will think on it till National Jerky Day!  I will mix up a batch of GB jerky and try it, and if I like them, that maybe the way to go!  My teeth are in good shape, but I am tired of eating jerky and then spending 20 minutes cleaning them, although you do get another snack out of it!

Only holds 1lb., so a slight drawback!

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »

the only bad thing with GB jerky is you want to use the 90/10 stuff and usually the cost of it you could buy actual whole muscle and cut up.

My last batch was 81/19 in the 10# tube from Gordons Food service, and I did it at 160 and it rendered a lot of fat out. I may try this again but use a much lower temps for longer in the Dehydrator.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up