Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PID controlled pits  (Read 2333 times)

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
Re: PID controlled pits
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »

I agree with your statement, I just don't believe it makes a difference. My PID controller on my Blaz'n always shows the temp at it's set/actual point. My cookshack will show a variance above and below the set point at times.

As PID programming is up to the programmers and engineers who build the hardware, how are we to know they just made it that way to keep the swings within the customers expectations?
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »

but PID is an improvement in cooking management IMHO. 

This is probably where I disagree with most. I see a PID controller as a different type of controller, not necessarily a better type of controller. I think somewhere along the way we became hooked on the belief that a pit should maintain a set temp the entire cook. Like everything in this world, there are multiple ways to do everything.

They are PID of some sort.  A controller board that monitors temps and controls the pellets dumped into the burn box.  NON PID has no feedback loop.  Like the guy who puts wood into the firebox.  That's non PID.
I tend to agree.  None of my 3 cookers have PID type controllers simply because the "regular" controllers work just fine for me.  I don't see the need to spend the money to upgrade them when I could be spending that money on meat and beer.  Now, if one of my controllers were to fail I would consider a PID as a replacement.

I also understand that the pit temps fluctuate, sometimes quite a bit, but over a long cook it all averages out, probably more so than when I was managing the fire in the offset I used to cook on.  :-)
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »

They all did the same thing, but in different ways.

PID Wiki kinda shows it's just a mathematical calculation and can be implemented in a bazillion ways.

I could not agree with you more. I have cooked on a Cookshack, Yoder, and now Blaz'n and I have always felt the PID discussion is overblown. All of the controllers/units I have used have produced some great Que. I see the PID discussion more as markerting than anything else. Other views may vary  ;D
I beg to disagree.  Yes you can make good Q with either, but PID is an improvement in cooking management IMHO.  I suspect that eventually, all the major pellet pit makers will incorporate them into their designs. Main concern is the price difference between digital type and PID type, which I expect will be resolved with demand. 
Bet we all remember the cost of the early LED flat TV.  Outrageous then but now about 1/4 of the cost.  As for advantages of PID over the standard digital, first is the ability to adjust it to your pit.  The algorithms can be adjusted to make sure the selected temp is very close to the actual temp on the grill grate.  For the more sophisticated (you know who you are) there are several other adjustments that are available.  There are complaints that tighter temp control results in less smoke flavor in your finished product.  That is adjustable also, and most PID controls are set to produce more smoke at lower temps.  Bottom line--Progress, don't knock it.  Go with it.   :2cents:

Although my favorite controller is the Savannah Stoker controller, I very much disagree with the bolded part. A straight up PID controller falls 3rd on my list.

My personal hierarchy of controllers:

1) Savannah Stoker (Hybrid - because it can run in PID mode or completely disregard the PID algorithms) - What puts this controller on top, in my opinion, is its ability the ignore the PID when I want it to. This controller lets the end user run in PID mode or manual mode (completely ignoring the PID) and runs at a constant duty cycle (perfect for grilling).  It lets you set the low duty cycle and high duty cycle in 1% increments, meaning I can use it on my Traeger and have my Traeger run anywhere between P5 and P0 as it needs to maintain around 150* for smoking jerky. Set up properly for the cook, even if I open the door to do something the controller will never dump more than my high duty cycle which can be set similar to P0, P1, P2, etc., whatever I choose for that cook.

2) Fast Eddy PG500 type controller - This one is not PID. It lets the end user pick the low duty cycle and the high duty cycle. It just oscillates back and forth depending on whether the grill temp is above or below the set temperature. You can have the duty cycles set the same or 1 setting off from one another and have a constant flame for grilling. That is something a PID controller does not do. You can adjust the low duty and high duty cycles so you can control the temp swing to some degree. With a PID, you are at the mercy of the algorithms and the temp swing is what it is.

3) Straight up PID controller or any other mathematical driven controller - This is your Yoder, Rec Tec, GMG, etc. They do a fine job at what they are designed to do, maintaining smoking temperatures in the pit. They are not designed to maintain a certain flame for grilling or give the end user options to limit the low and high duty cycles for certain situations. There is no adjustment for temp swings. They do what their math tells them to do.

4) Simple controllers that have set low duty cycles and high duty cycles, that for the most part, are not very adjustable. This is your Traeger digital controller and Ortech controller.

5) Lastly is the Traeger low/med/hi controller.

I did not say that the PID was the most advanced, just that it was an improvement over the plain digital (Traeger, Ortech), which does not disagree with your placement on the list.  Good to know that there are even more advanced systems (I did say "you know who you are").  Best to you.   :bbq:

slaga

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »

I did not say that the PID was the most advanced, just that it was an improvement over the plain digital (Traeger, Ortech), which does not disagree with your placement on the list.  Good to know that there are even more advanced systems (I did say "you know who you are").  Best to you.   :bbq:

In my opinion, the Fast Eddy controller is a digital controller that I would prefer over just about any PID controller. I am trying to say that PID is not "an improvement in cooking management" over digital, as a general rule. That is my opinion. I think that is what people, me included, took issue with in your statement. Different yes, "improvement" no.

The adjustments you are talking about that can be made to the PID to tune it to a grill, are made by the manufacturer and programmed into the PID. These adjustments are not there for the end user to make. With the PID controllers, the end user has no control over temp swing whatsoever. They live with whatever the manufacturer feels is best, whether you live in the desert of AZ, the wet Pacific Northwest or Alaska, you get what the manufacturer feels is best for everyone. Whereas a digital controller, with adjustable low/high duty cycle, the end user can easily adjust the temp swing from cook to cook. Even if the manufacturer allowed the end user to adjust the P, I and D parameters in the controller, it would be a lot more complicated than just adjusting the low/high duty cycles of a digital controller.

I am not trying to be argumentative. We have a difference of opinion and I can respect yours, whether I agree with it or not.  :bbq:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:16:54 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »

Thanks, I learn something new every day.   :clap:

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »

Yup. I personally prefer the Fast Eddy style of controller over a PID.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Carnivorous

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 10:38:50 PM »

Pitts n spitts is PID from what little research ive done.  If i found a small pile of money I'd like to test the xxxx out of the new one, looks real nice for that price point!

I have experience with the FEC control board as well as Memphis PID and of course the OG traeger and 'upgraded' digital Traeger.  If you love to "SEE" lots of white smoke and that makes you warm and fuzzy, the FEC is king.  If you like to see much less white smoke and in its place find clear/blue smoke that is the less bitter and more penetrating smoke than PID (depending on its setup and particular programming values) is probably your best bet.  Lots of smart folks here on this forum with TONS of different wants/needs/likes/dislikes so there really isn't a cookie cutter answer.  Love the discussion!

For me the Memphis PID just kills it in the best way.  I'm a weekday griller for burgers, steaks, dogs etc...fast after work stuff.  Weekends as time permits low n slow pork for the most part.  A pizza here n there.  I find the basic ease of operation, lack of tinkering for basic fast cooks and pinpoint accuracy that leaves me with PLENTY of good ol clean smokey Q delightful.  +1 for PID baby!

Now, if I could have it my way, and all the little wishes in there, would I opt for my Memphis PID with a cookshack FEC switch to use either manner I felt like at the time.....UM DUH that's what I want!

:bbq:
2018 Memphis Pro (304ss)
FEC PG500
Traeger Tex Elite
ThermaQ Wi-Fi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up