Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just back from Mexico  (Read 529 times)

dk117

Just back from Mexico
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »

Spent a week in Cabo San Lucas for spring break.   Took a cooking class and learned a lot.  Came back with some dried Ancho chilies.  Couldn't resist doctoring up a dry rub for a rib eye last night.   This is reverse sear (smoked 1 hour 15 mins then pan seared.)     Went a bit over medium rare.  Had a hard time getting a perfect reading on the maverick due to the marbling. 

DK

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:05:27 PM by dk117 »

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Just back from Mexico
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

Looks great.  A few questions/requests:

1) Where, and on what kind of pan do you do the sear?  Dry pan?

2) Tell more about what you learned in the cooking class, particularly what led to you smuggling chiles across the border and what went into this delicious rub.

Thanks!
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

dk117

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »

haha, great questions.

1) in the house on the stove cook-top with a normal non stick pan with butter and garlic.   Brown butter. 
2) Cooking class.  I just couldn't pass up a half kilo of ancho chilies for $2.  Before class commenced we took a tour of a shop, a grocery, a tortilla chip maker,  and a butcher to source our ingredients (maybe 5 to 10 mins each).  I suppose I did smuggle across the border.  I asked our instructor who was educated in LA culinary institute and he said probably OK.   I took the path that this was not a fresh fruit or vegetable, I didn't declare (and my wife declared and itemized absolutely everything else).

We made Beef Birria in Adobo Sauce.   Beef was tenderized, seared, seasoned and boiled for 90 mins, nothing special there.   My daughters made fresh tortillas from scratch.  I grilled some poblanos.   All pretty basic stuff.   It was the sauces we made that were enlightening.  How easy it is to reconstitute the peppers and turn them into a nice sauce.  guac I have made before many times.   What we would call pico de gallo was made with ease.   The salsa verde (tomatillos) and the salsa roha (in this case chipotle) were really fun.  I'm not suggesting I have the balance of a Bobby Flay, but I feel more confident in my sauce abilities now.  Not to mention the dry rub I made on a whim.   It all came from these dried peppers.    It wasn't so much a technical class as much as it was an experience and a confidence booster. 

DK
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:38:37 PM by dk117 »

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »

Sounds like a great experience.  I need to take the time to learn various Mexican sauces and salsas.  Most of my smoked and/or grilled meat leftovers end up becoming tacos or similar.  Fresh authentic sauces/salsas would really take things to the next level.  I would definitely like to improve my fresh and dried chile game. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: [1]   Go Up