Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directly on the flame zone  (Read 765 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Directly on the flame zone
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »

I know that many who use hardwood or even charcoal in their grills will cook directly on the ash so I was wondering has anyone tried cooking not using grates but placing the meat directly on their flame zones?

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Directly on the flame zone
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »

I have cooked steaks lying directly on red hot lump. The trick is to turn often. There was some minor charcoal adhesion that was easily removed..Taste wise is similar to just above the coals... Placing meat on even slightly corroded or dirty metal may result in less than desirable results.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »

I don't see the benefit in it. In my case it would be the curved metal driptray that's over the fire. As Canadian John said, "Placing meat on even slightly corroded or dirty metal may result in less than desirable results." Doesn't thrill me. The grate is just a couple inches above the tray. I'll stick with that,  :2cents:
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »

if you are going to want to cook right on the deflector, put an iron or carbon steel pan on it and cook in it. I would not see the benefit of doing that over cooking on the stove top.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »

> I would not see the benefit of doing that over cooking on the stove top.

Well, it will keep the smoke detector from going off  :)

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »

Please forgive me as I know this question was asked in all seriousness,  but my twisted brain came up with a whole other image of this.  There is a scene from the movie “Quest for Fire” that starred  Rae Dawn Chong (of Cheech  and Chong fame) and Ron Perlman, came out in the very early 80’s, where some caveman drops a hunk of meat into a fire accidentally - and grilled steak is discovered!  OK, break over, back to regular programming... :P

Yes I remember, but we still don't know who discovered the use of salt and pepper to make that steak 900% better. :rotf:

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:49:16 PM »

Please forgive me as I know this question was asked in all seriousness,  but my twisted brain came up with a whole other image of this.  There is a scene from the movie “Quest for Fire” that starred  Rae Dawn Chong (of Cheech  and Chong fame) and Ron Perlman, came out in the very early 80’s, where some caveman drops a hunk of meat into a fire accidentally - and grilled steak is discovered!  OK, break over, back to regular programming... :P

You old stoner!  I have cooked direct hot I mean direct flame on my Yoder without the grill grates.  It's neat but I have found using the grill grates on the flat side better for reverse seared thick steaks and for the normal grocery store under 1" thick. 

Lest's talks Ringo Starr in Caveman, what a great movie.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up