Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 10 Apr 2018
  • Why are there no offset pellet cookers?  Hopper assembly into a firebox.   Sear station above.  Smoke, cook, oven chamber next.   Instead Pellet cookers have the fire in the middle of the pit.  Hope this question makes sense.

DK
    • dk117
  • #2 by Bobitis on 10 Apr 2018
  • My Traeger JR's pot is against the left wall.  It works fine for me. 
  • #3 by dk117 on 10 Apr 2018
  • I think Louisiana does the same as your JR.  I'm talking about an offset firebox outside of the cooking chamber.  Why hasn't anyone done that yet?

DK
    • dk117
  • #4 by Bentley on 10 Apr 2018
  • I think efficiency would be main design concern.  Also temperature control in main chamber.
  • #5 by dk117 on 10 Apr 2018
  • Yes, efficiency would be the main concern (more pellets spent to achieve temps).  Maybe also temp control in the main chamber.  But stick burners have it figured out, I'm still not understanding why not for pellets?  If this is an ignorant question feel free to let me know  ;D

DK
    • dk117
  • #6 by Bentley on 10 Apr 2018
  • I think it is scale also.  You are dealing with much greater volumes of fuel being burned to achieve the same temperatures.  And one is primarily forced air while the other relays on a natural convection.
  • #7 by okie smokie on 11 Apr 2018
  • Why are there no offset pellet cookers?  Hopper assembly into a firebox.   Sear station above.  Smoke, cook, oven chamber next.   Instead Pellet cookers have the fire in the middle of the pit.  Hope this question makes sense.

DK
    Isn't the PG500 what you are talking about? :help:
  • #8 by Brushpopper on 11 Apr 2018
  • I've studied on converting my old and now unused offset stick burner with a hopper assembly from Smoke Daddy.  I haven't gotten permission from the boss to buy one yet, but a boy can dream.  My main concern is efficiency.  I think it'd have to burn hot to keep the cooking chamber at the desired temps.  But I've got two perfectly good pellet grills that cook great food.   :bbq:
  • #9 by dk117 on 11 Apr 2018
  • here's what I was thinking, please forgive the sloppy image, but I hope this gets the point across better than my initial post.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

DK

PS I concede PG500 has similar capabilities.  Thanks for sharing that. 
    • dk117
  • #10 by triplebq on 11 Apr 2018
  • The Yoder Cimarron Pellet Cooking is pretty much what you described. All except for the sear station above the firebox.
  • #11 by triplebq on 11 Apr 2018
  • #12 by rdsbucks on 11 Apr 2018
  • I just don't think it would produce enough heat.
  • #13 by slaga on 11 Apr 2018
  • I think it could retain enough heat in the smoker section if the chimney was relocated below the grate at the opposite end from the fire box. The warm air and smoke would rise to the top and then move down below the grate as it cooled off. If you leave the chimney at the top, I think you would have trouble keeping the smoker section warm enough.
  • #14 by triplebq on 11 Apr 2018
  • Not sure I understand why the smoker would not be able to produce enough heat? I have seen one in person but didn't look at the size of the fire pot. I would assume it would be sized according to size of the unit.
  • #15 by Michael_NW on 11 Apr 2018
  • Boy, I imagine that cooker goes through the pellets. I'm sure the pellet usage specs are on their site, it just looks like a pretty large chamber to fill, or maybe the cart just makes it look that big.
Pages:
Actions