Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by CaptJerry on 03 May 2018
  • Finally got around to trying this yesterday.
    It's going to take years off my life  :)

Modifications to this basic recipe are endless.
    Really really good.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 May 2018
  • Glad you enjoyed it.  That was probably the last time I made it.  I should make another batch.  I wonder if I could portion it and vac seal them for future side dishes for meals.
  • #18 by Bentley on 03 May 2018
  • If you have a manual override to seal on your unit I would think it would do very well!
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 May 2018
  • If you have a manual override to seal on your unit I would think it would do very well!

Yes, I do.  Gonna give it a try with some mac n cheese after it gets cold in the fridge.
  • #20 by CaptJerry on 05 May 2018
  • Round 2 today. The Freeloaders aka the in-laws coming over tonight for a gathering.
    Going to tweak a couple things. Add a little bacon and add the butter.
    Going to try to undo the work of my brother in laws Cardiologist  :D
    The pellet grill is loaded up with butts, so going to do the mac on the kamado.
    I'm thinking a little cherry wood might be interesting.
  • #21 by CaptJerry on 06 May 2018
  • I'm officially in the no butter camp now.
    No benefit to adding it flavor wise and it did give a greasy appearance when
    the pan came off the cooker.
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 May 2018
  • I'm officially in the no butter camp now.
    No benefit to adding it flavor wise and it did give a greasy appearance when
    the pan came off the cooker.

That was my impression too which was why I ended up removing it after a few tries.  I think the cheese has enough grease in it.
  • #23 by BigDave83 on 06 May 2018
  • I like to add, some chunks of cream cheese instead of the butter.
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2018
  • Just put a batch on the Memphis.  Should be ready during the lunch hour.  I think I used double the heavy whipping cream than I normally do so we will see how it works out.  I also had two partial boxes of different pastas so I threw them together to finish them off.  I used grated gouda and Mexican cheeses and mixed in some MAK chipotle rub.
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2018
  • I used one pint of heavy whipping cream this time and about 1.5 pints of whole milk.  I like the texture better on this batch than on my previous batch.  This was the bottom view.

• #26 by Ralphie on 08 May 2018
  • Bar-B-Lew,
    Your new picture is precisely what I was hoping to find.  It gives the appearance of the texture I prefer in home made mac n cheese.  That looks fantastic.  Thank you for documenting your different approaches to this dish.  I can't wait to try it!
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 May 2018
  • I let it sit in the pan over night, and today I cut it into portions and vac sealed them.  Worked out well.  Will see how well they reheat.  I put them in the freezer.

• #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 May 2018
  • I went to heat up some a portion of the vac seal I had in the freezer, and learned something by accident.  I had put it on defrost for 1#.  Turns out about 4 minutes on defrost will actually unthaw and warm up the mac and cheese, and it is a lot less greasy this way versus reheating at full power in the microwave.  I did cut a slit in the bag before starting the defrost.
  • #29 by Bentley on 25 May 2018
  • Why not boiling water?  Time thing?
  • #30 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 May 2018
  • Why not boiling water?  Time thing?

I don't have a stove in my basement - only a microwave and toaster oven.
Pages:
Actions