Recipe Section > Beef

Sweet Sriracha Beef Jerky

(1/4) > >>

Ssteppe:
Sweet Sriracha Beef Jerky
enough marinade for 2-3 lb of meat - eye of round, top round are good, sliced 1/8-1/4 inch thick against the grain

1 cup rice vinegar
1 1/4 cups sriracha sauce
2-4 Tablespoons brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt

Combine marinade ingredients. Dip slices of meat in marinade and place into ziplock bag. Pour rest of marinade into bag. Remove as much air as possible and refrigerate 1-2 days. Massage bag and turn over a couple of times a day.

Blot meat dry, but don't rinse. Smoke at 180 F for 2-4 hours (start checking at 2 hours and remove slices as they are done to your liking.)
Refrigerate or freeze for long storage.

pmillen:
Is there a need for cure?

Bar-B-Lew:

--- Quote from: pmillen on July 29, 2018, 02:04:30 PM ---Is there a need for cure?

--- End quote ---

I think only if you are not going to eat it right away.  I believe the cure is supposed to help slow the growth of mold on the fat left on the jerky.

pmillen:
I know that jerky isn't pemmican but they're both dried meat with fat.  Pemmican, in rawhide bags, was kept without refrigeration for years.  So I thought (hoped) that jerky might keep a long time without cure, especially if refrigerated.  Guess not.

Bar-B-Lew:

--- Quote from: pmillen on July 29, 2018, 02:23:58 PM ---I know that jerky isn't pemmican but they're both dried meat with fat.  Pemmican, in rawhide bags, was kept without refrigeration for years.  So I thought (hoped) that jerky might keep a long time without cure, especially if refrigerated.  Guess not.

--- End quote ---

If refrigerated, I suspect you will get up to a month.  I have had some not refrigerated go bad in less than 2 weeks without cure.

I've been vac sealing 5oz per bag.  I put them in the freezer.  When I think I may want some, I let it thaw in the fridge or on the counter.  I usually eat it in a few days then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View