Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by binarym on 12 Apr 2018
  • Hi All:

My name is Jerry Loiselle and I am from Brockton, Massachusetts. This Easter (18) our gathering was small this year. The bride and I hosted 7 and I smoked a 13 3/4 lb turkey. My pic is of the bird in my Davy Crockett. This was about 1/2 hour in at about 250'. Sorry I didn't think to get a pic of the finished result. Needless to say, I am now on the hook to host and smoke/cook the turkey every year going forward. I used Pappy's #810545 seasoning and covered the bird inside and out. I also squirted a mixture of honey, Bull's-eye Carolina barbecue sauce, and a few good dashes of Frank's red hot, this mixture has been my go to sauce for ribs and other items but I only splashed inside of the cavity. The bird was not stuffed. I started the bird out at about 250' for about 1 1/2 hours and then set it to 300' until the probe read 170'. Yes the bird is wrapped in bacon. Our family has been doing that for as long as I can remember and it adds flavor and moisture. Total cook/smoke time was about 4 1/2 hours. Oh and I attached a pic of the pellets I use. I got them off of Amazon at a $1 a pound. So a few questions?

Any suggestions on how to cook more turkey as my Davy won't hold much more than what I put in for Easter 13 3/4 lb?

Is a $1 a pound for pellets an ok price?

Anyone else use this brand?

Love my GMG Davy Crockett. I have had it since June 2017 and I have done Ribs, Beer Can Chicken, Beef Brisket, Ham, and now Turkey. This is my first post. Hope to keep learning and sharing.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Apr 2018
  • arguably the best pellets out there...if you buy in bulk you can get close to $0.50/#

no solution on more turkeys in your grill other than to recommend buying a bigger or 2nd grill.
  • #3 by binarym on 12 Apr 2018
  • arguably the best pellets out there...if you buy in bulk you can get close to $0.50/#

no solution on more turkeys in your grill other than to recommend buying a bigger or 2nd grill.

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I am getting resistance from the Bride on the $$$ outlay for a 2nd grill. Where do you get your pellets in bulk? Do you order them from Amazon as well?
  • #4 by ylr on 12 Apr 2018
  • Not sure how much you need or can afford, but cookinpellets.com/will get you some at around 80 cents a pound, shipped. Their website also shows a dealer in MA, too.

Good luck, and welcome to PF!
  • #5 by jstrand on 12 Apr 2018
  • You can try Craigslist too. That's where i get lumberjack pellets for .40 cents a pound.
  • #6 by slaga on 12 Apr 2018
  • CookinPellets.com is my favorite. I use both the 100% hickory and the Perfect Mix. You can cut the price by about 1/2, shipping included, if you buy a pallet. My last order was split between 8 people and we split up 2,320 lbs.  :pig:
Pages:
Actions