Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ScottWood on 12 Apr 2018
  • The Traeger forum here seems to be pretty quiet.

Just ordered the Don Godke downdraft for one of my Traegers.  Depending on performance I will order a second one for the other cooker.

I know that there were a few threads on the old site about downdrafts but thought we needed one here also. :-)
  • #2 by dk117 on 12 Apr 2018
  • never attempted the downdraft mod.  Agreed it's kind of depressing that most Traeger owners are moving on and this section of the forum is so quiet.    If it makes you feel any better, PH is pretty much dead except for Que Ball's posts.   Seems to be about a half dozen active users. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #3 by ScottWood on 12 Apr 2018
  • never attempted the downdraft mod.  Agreed it's kind of depressing that most Traeger owners are moving on and this section of the forum is so quiet.    If it makes you feel any better, PH is pretty much dead except for Que Ball's posts.   Seems to be about a half dozen active users. 

DK

The one things I can give the old site credit for is that it helped me find this one.  :-)
  • #4 by rughead on 12 Apr 2018

•  I posted this in General Discussions, I should have put it here..

I have been looking at the Down Draft Hoods. Hurd & Don Godke are the two that come up.
    Any comments on either out there? I see the Don Godke one has a adjustable opening at
    the top. Ant thoughts on why, when the purpose is to keep heat stable and more smoke in
    the chamber?
    I have the Traeger 075.
    Thanks in advance..  :2cents: :cool:
  • #5 by ScottWood on 12 Apr 2018

•  I posted this in General Discussions, I should have put it here..

I have been looking at the Down Draft Hoods. Hurd & Don Godke are the two that come up.
    Any comments on either out there? I see the Don Godke one has a adjustable opening at
    the top. Ant thoughts on why, when the purpose is to keep heat stable and more smoke in
    the chamber?
    I have the Traeger 075.
    Thanks in advance..  :2cents: :cool:

According to his website the butterfly opening at the top is to let you open it up to run hotter.  He says it gives you the benefit of being able to open it as if the downdraft wasn't there.
  • #6 by Bentley on 12 Apr 2018
  • I did a Product Review of the Hurd and it was pretty good!  Not sure who copied who on the downdraft...I though the Hurd was 1st but I maybe wrong! Almost positive that the Hurd model has the articulating opening 1st!

• #7 by dshaffes on 15 Apr 2018
  • What exactly is this mod trying to accomplish?  I've read a few things but not exactly clear.  Can anyone help me out?
  • #8 by Bentley on 15 Apr 2018
  • To the best of my knowledge, if folks were having grate temperature issues, it was to try and even those out.  When I did the product review, I found about a 7% decrease in pellet consumption.  And some said that since it was a lower area for the smoke to exit the exhaust, it might keep the smoke in the chamber longer.  No way with my intellect to quantify that!
  • #9 by Jon515 on 19 Apr 2018
  • I agree with Bentley, I have GMG and with the Don Godke, I am using less pellets.  Also my grate temps are more even. 
  • #10 by okie smokie on 19 Apr 2018
  • The Traeger forum here seems to be pretty quiet.

Just ordered the Don Godke downdraft for one of my Traegers.  Depending on performance I will order a second one for the other cooker.

I know that there were a few threads on the old site about downdrafts but thought we needed one here also. :-)
    Love my Blaz'n GS.  However, the pellet consumption seems fast.  After seeing the downdraft (Godke), and hearing the testimonials on using less pellets, I decided to go for it.  I like the option to open the top for hot cooks.  Will crank it up and report results after it arrives. Like the idea of keeping the smoke across the lower rack during low-slow cooks. Godke claims the the lower pellet consumption will pay for the mod. 
  • #11 by okie smokie on 24 Apr 2018
  • Downdraft will be here tomorrow.  Will get it attached and working asap.  Maker suggests opening the chimney cap to max.  Did so today and cleaned 2.5 years of soot out of the chimney and cap.  No need to remove the chimney itself, just removed the cap, put a wad of paper in the bottom of the chimney and scraped the sides with a wooden (free) paint stirrer.  Then vacuumed all the loose crud.  Scraped the cap with a 1" wood chisel.  What a yuck! Pics and report to follow.   :cool: :cool: :clap: :clap:
  • #12 by okie smokie on 25 Apr 2018
  • Here 'tis.  Not as thick gauge as I expected, but nicely fitted.  Easy to install. Below are the pics.  Maintained good temp at the grates, except a little hotter in the middle at the low temp of 180* with the upper vent closed for smoking. 
    Started at 350* with upper vent opened and maintained for 30 minutes.

Ready to install with new long bolts:

installed then set for 350 with adjustable vent closed. The Maverick reads 352 (dark in pic)

Sensor in middle of grates:

At 180* with the upper vent closed-measured temp varied vs 183-187  Not bad.
    Over all a good result. Will make some minor adjustments.  Good thing Godke has his name perforated below since the bottom of the vent sits right over a 3/8" grill bar.  So there is plenty room for flow around the obstruction. Will see how it performs on a low slow this weekend.  Will try to get some idea of pellet use.   :bbq: :clap: :cool:
  • #13 by ScottWood on 30 Apr 2018
  • I got mine, and installed it, just before I had to run to Arizona for a week long work trip.  So far I have only been able to do a couple short cooks but so far it seems to be working well.  I did throw a could probes on each side of the cooker and ran it at 225 for a few hours, then up to 350 for a couple hours, and the side to side temps are a lot closer than they used to be.
  • #14 by Ross77 on 30 Apr 2018
  • I’m thinking about getting one of these.

Does it enhance/increase the smoke flavor in the meat?
  • #15 by ScottWood on 30 Apr 2018
  • I’m thinking about getting one of these.

Does it enhance/increase the smoke flavor in the meat?

Honestly, I don't know yet.  I've only had a chance to do a couple relatively short cooks with it, nothing that I could actually compare yet.

Hopefully I will be able to pick up a decently priced brisket for this next week.
Pages:
Actions