Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Door gaskets?  (Read 2300 times)

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Door gaskets?
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »

Curious what, or if, people are using for door gaskets on their Traegers?

Not sure I need one, but with summer around the corner, and the desire to get out and do more outdoor cooking, I am also thinking it is cooker mod season.  :-)
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Re: Door gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »

Have never used one with my Junior or my RecTec for that matter.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

dk117

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »

Not sure I need one, but with summer around the corner, and the desire to get out and do more outdoor cooking, I am also thinking it is cooker mod season.  :-)
I bought my Traeger from a gas, grill and fireplace shop now out of business.  They installed a rope type gasket.   Folks on PH warned me it was a bad move.  Two years later I took it all off as it was failing.  That's the only place I have rust on my Traeger now.   I leak smoke and have a very bad seal, but the gasket was a two year patch at best. 

DK

ScottWood

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »

I bought my Traeger from a gas, grill and fireplace shop now out of business.  They installed a rope type gasket.   Folks on PH warned me it was a bad move.  Two years later I took it all off as it was failing.  That's the only place I have rust on my Traeger now.   I leak smoke and have a very bad seal, but the gasket was a two year patch at best. 

DK

Thanks.  As I said, not sure if it is even an issue, but was curious what experience others might have had with it.

Given where I live, I don't want anything that can capture moisture and cause rust.  I rarely use a cover for that very reason.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »

Nomex high heat gasket tape.  On the big A.  3/4" is fine.  Make sure you clean the surface, even going to the hassle of wiping a PERFECTLY CLEAN area with alcohol before applying.

Put my tape on my Yoder about 4 years ago after the second cook.  Still working, still sticking.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »

not sure where I picked up my nomex at but I cleaned the surface well and then cleaned with acetone. mine has been on for a little over 5 years. I like it. Did it do anything for temps I have no idea, but it helped with smoke coming out everywhere around the lid

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:51:57 PM »

What makes you think it is needed?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ScottWood

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »

Thanks everyone.

Looks like I can get the nomex stuff on Amazon for a pretty cheap price.  Might just have to give it a try.

ScottWood

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »

What makes you think it is needed?

As I said in my post, I'm not sure that it is actually needed.  I do get occasional smoke out through the door but it doesn't seem to be too much.  Guess I just like to tinker with things.  :-)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 07:39:43 PM »

I've a Traeger Jr. and the discussion always misses me. Why? I just don't get it.

All of our smokers have an exhaust. Some have a stack, some have ports on the back, some have... That smoke has to go somewhere, and it's usually the path of least resistance.

My probe wires come out under the lid and my lid fits tight with no wires. More smoke comes out the hole for the drip bucket than the lid with 2-3 wires coming out of the chamber.

I can only assume that it's a matter of choice, as I can't imagine it making any difference.  :2cents:

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »

^^^What he said.^^^

Pits aren't air tight.  The combustion fan blows air in.  It has to go out somewhere; up the chimney, up the auger, out the drip spigot and anywhere else it can.  You won't notice any difference in your food if you seal the door with tape.

But the exterior of your pit may be less stained.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »

Scott; When I had  my Traeger ( 5 years), I always had the lid sealed with komado self sealing gaskets. Either the top or bottom gasket had to be reduced in width to properly fit. The sides were not sealed as the fit was good after twisting the lid slightly.

The sealing wasn't done for air flow or heat retention, rather staining, as I had a stainless lid that I liked to keep clean.

ScottWood

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

Scott; When I had  my Traeger ( 5 years), I always had the lid sealed with komado self sealing gaskets. Either the top or bottom gasket had to be reduced in width to properly fit. The sides were not sealed as the fit was good after twisting the lid slightly.

The sealing wasn't done for air flow or heat retention, rather staining, as I had a stainless lid that I liked to keep clean.

So far that sounds like the best reason so far to seal it up.  I don't have a stainless lid though so I guess it isn't a reason for me.  :-)

dshaffes

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »

I have the Pro 22 and see no reason for a door gasket. 

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:11 AM »

While smoking on the Traeger Junior a few days ago I was shocked at the amount of smoke pouring out of the two holes (does not have a stack).   I was wondering what I could use to slow this down some by closing off some of the two holes.  Are there any type of heat tape or something to use for plugging these two holes some.  I thought about using several strips of gasket, but I do not know how this would work.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up