Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Door gaskets?  (Read 2299 times)

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Door gaskets?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 07:29:49 AM »

While smoking on the Traeger Junior a few days ago I was shocked at the amount of smoke pouring out of the two holes (does not have a stack).   I was wondering what I could use to slow this down some by closing off some of the two holes.  Are there any type of heat tape or something to use for plugging these two holes some.  I thought about using several strips of gasket, but I do not know how this would work.
You have to realize the fire pot is producing that smoke just as fast as it is pouring out those holes. By restricting the exit and preventing some smoke from coming out, you are also preventing it from producing some smoke too.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »

While smoking on the Traeger Junior a few days ago I was shocked at the amount of smoke pouring out of the two holes (does not have a stack).   I was wondering what I could use to slow this down some by closing off some of the two holes.  Are there any type of heat tape or something to use for plugging these two holes some.  I thought about using several strips of gasket, but I do not know how this would work.

I've just used foil wads on those to keep in more smoke. But I am not sure it made any difference in the results/taste.
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »

I've just used foil wads on those to keep in more smoke. But I am not sure it made any difference in the results/taste.

Those holes are there by design. That air being pushed into the grill by the fan has to go somewhere and it will find the path of least resistance. Some will come out the hole for the grease bucket, some will come out around the door and some will be pushed back through the auger tube and through the hopper. An auger tube fire, especially if it makes its way into the pellet hopper is not fun. If you choose to block those holes, i'd watch closely for smoke coming from the pellet hopper.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »

It is a shame that all pits don't have the glass front like the Pit Boss.  You got to see just how much smoke is in the unit, and it is a lot, like a deep, dense fog.  And it is the same with all units...Now, that pellet smoke profile may not be enough for some, I have come to understand that and just learn to say it.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up