Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Free Mr. Tony on 14 Apr 2018
  • A couple weeks ago I made a bulk sausage recipe out of the book "The pizza bible". It was calabrese honey sausage. I loved it bulk, but wanted to make it a couple different ways as well.

Made a five pound batch. Split 3 pounds to make loose fluffy pizza sausage, and 2 pounds link sausage.

The bowl was cooked in loaf form, then cooled, and course ground the day after.

I tweaked the recipe to cut down the anise slightly, but this is a fantastic pizza sausage.

Also made some sweet onion teriyaki jerky. It's my go to easy jerky.

• #2 by hughver on 14 Apr 2018
  • Sausage looks great, care to share your pizza recipe?
  • #3 by Canadian John on 14 Apr 2018
  •  Holy Smokers - That looks great!
  • #4 by yorkdude on 14 Apr 2018
  • I feel completely comfortable saying this, if cooking is one of the hobbies you enjoy, I can guarantee that I would run like all "get-out" from you in your professional capacity! Just wow!
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 14 Apr 2018
  • Sausage looks great, care to share your pizza recipe?

My pizza recipe is always evolving, and changing through experiments. My most common right now for all purpose dough is a 50/50 mix of high gluten flour from Gordon food service, and King Arthur bread flour. I use the following formula from pizzacreator.net depending on how many balls I'm making. I also tweak the yeast based on when I am using the dough, so ignore that part of the equation. If I'm using the dough the same day, I may use a couple tsp yeast. A day later, maybe a tsp. Two or three days later, maybe half a tsp.

I use that for thick, medium, or thin pizza. It's a nice balance of chewy, crispy, and light.

I put the water, sugar, and yeast in the mixer bowl. Use the paddle attachment to mix. Add about half the mixed flour, and mix until smooth and shiny with the paddle. It should be about the consistency of thick pancake batter at this point. You can mix in a little more flour if it's runny.

Let it sit for 20 minutes so the flour can soak up the water. Switch to the dough hook. Add the salt. Mix with the hook. Add the rest of the flour about a half cup at a time, mixing until smooth and shiny between each addition.

Take out of the bowl. Hand knead on a floured surface for a couple minutes. Spray the empty bowl with Pam. Form the dough into a ball, and place in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap on top of the dough, and a kitchen towel over the bowl. Let rise as one ball until doubled (timing depends on how much yeast). Press down. Divide into individually weighted balls. I use about 275-300 grams for 12-14 inch round pizzas. 375-450 grams for pan pizzas (9x9x2 or 10x8x2). Sometimes use a quarter sheet pan as well, which I go with 375 grams on those as well.

If making a round pizza, use a brush to lightly oil round container. Form a tight skinned ball, and place in container. Cover until doubled. Depending on yeast amount, could be put in fridge for a couple days. That will be the final rise for round hand tossed pizza. (This was just one I had sitting in freezer)

For pan pizza, form ball and press into well oiled square pan. You kind of want the bottom to fry on these, so a decent amount of olive oil is fine. You'll also add more later. The ball won't come close to spreading out in the pan at this point.

Let it rise covered with Pam sprayed plastic until about 1.5 it's size. The dough should look about like this.

The dough should be nice and relaxed at this point to be able to easily be pushed out to the edges of the square pan. Once you have the square pan filled, fold one half over the other. Give it another squirt of olive oil. Then do the same on the other side. Now it's ready for it's 3rd and final rise. Cover with sprayed plastic again until doubled. You can once again delay this last process in the fridge depending on yeast amount. Fully risen should look something similar to the below photo

That's the basic process up to topping, and baking.

I try to make my round pizzas on the Blackstone at about 650 degrees. This was probably one of the most perfect pizzas I ever made.

For the square I sometimes make them on the blackstone, but a 500 degree oven works great for these too. I set up 2 stones. One about 6 to 8 inches above the other. Cook with the pans directly on bottom stone. You should end up with something like this

With a nice crispy bottom like this.

I had some better bottom picks, but can't find them. Feel free to ask about any more of the process or ingredients. I feel like I already went on too long.

• #6 by Canadian John on 15 Apr 2018

•  Thanks for posting. Good info and pics..Looks darn tasty!
  • #7 by DMAXNAZ on 18 Apr 2018
  • That pizza looks so good.
  • #8 by Bentley on 18 Apr 2018
  • How do you serve the links?
  • #9 by Free Mr. Tony on 18 Apr 2018
  • How do you serve the links?

This particular style most likely cut up in pasta, or sliced on a bun with some pepperoni, marinara, mozzarella, parm, and oregano. All melted together in a 400 degree oven.

Regular Italian links, I like with onions and peppers on a hoagie roll.

Many times I make the links when I'm having people over. I just grill them to reheat, slice fairly thick, and serve next to a container of toothpicks. Depending on the type, they can be really rich. A slice or two on a toothpick is plenty. At least for me.

Pages:
Actions