Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Smokefathers on 16 Apr 2018
  • Hi from Rhode island.  I have been wanting to get into smoking for years and finally i am ready to take the plunge.  I am looking at getting the Pit Boss Austin XL. I understand it only lasts a couple of seasons at best but for that price i think it might be the best deal in starting out.  As a newb am i right or wrong.  Thx for your input
  • #2 by Ralphie on 16 Apr 2018
  • I'll let the more experienced pellet smokers answer your question.  But welcome to the board!  I've learned a lot from the people on this site.  Very knowledgeable and motivated to help.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 16 Apr 2018

•  Welcome! Love the handle - very original.

Being new at something is always a challenge..Any first pit especially using a different fuel, will steepen the learning curve... We all learned a great deal from our first pits. If you had that knowledge you would go straight to the top without looking back..The

Austin should be a good starter... It is a great time to start pellet cooking with what I hope is a lot of good weather ahead.
  • #4 by Smokefathers on 16 Apr 2018
  • Thanks appreciate the comments
  • #5 by ylr on 16 Apr 2018
  • Welcome! That Austin may fool you; I've had my PB 820 for over three years now, and it's still going strong!
  • #6 by triplebq on 16 Apr 2018
  • Welcome to the group.
  • #7 by GrillinGlen on 16 Apr 2018
  • Welcome!  I don’t know why you think that grill is disposable, with some reasonable care I bet you could get several times that.  A little tlc and the occasional repair should keep it going for years. 
  • #8 by Smokefathers on 17 Apr 2018
  • sorry if i missed represented what i think of the austin xl   i don't think its disposable but from what i have read its a 2-3 season grill.  i hope it lasts forever lol.  i was just stating that i knew it could be only good for a few seasons.  thanks for the input u really appreciate it
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 17 Apr 2018
  • Welcome Smokefathers!  I am sure you will have that XL humming as a 4 season pit once the bug hits you and you start tasting the goodness the two of you produce!
Pages:
Actions