Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alexa and an odd idea  (Read 709 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
Alexa and an odd idea
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »

This started off as not related to pellet grills at all, then I saw an idea for an application, and it amused me.

I'm not planning on taking this further at the moment, but I thought I would share in case it interests anyone.

I have several Amazon Echo devices - "Alexa" - around my home. I use them mostly for listening to music and radio, but also for timers and such. Being British, and using mostly American BBQ books, it is also convenient to yell out "Alexa, convert 350° F to Celsius".

Anyway, I have been looking for a better way to listen to Podcasts, as the default Tunein option that comes with Alexa isn't brilliant. I came across an installable Alexa app called My Pod.

The thing is, although it is meant for listening to Podcasts, you can actually create a link (for use by you alone) to any website; when called on, Alexa will read out the text in the website.

I bet you can all see this coming.

So if you have a simple web page that displayed information like this:

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Pit temperature: 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Food temperature: 125 degrees Fahrenheit.

and pointed this app at that page, naming the link in the app "Barbecue Status"

then simply saying "Alexa, ask my pod to play Barbecue Status"

would make Alexa read out the temperatures for you.

As I say, I haven't taken this to the next step, and my grill isn't actually updating anything. But I know that it could be done, and given that, this step turns the web page into audio.

Those of you who think having a WiFi connected grill is weird will have steam coming out your ears by now!  ;D

But I thought it was kind of neat.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:44:24 AM by Chris__M »
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
Re: Alexa and an odd idea
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »

This is using the My Pod app for something it wasn't designed for - so the phraseology "play Barbecue Status" is odd.

But it demonstrates what can be done. When I have nothing else to do, it may even motivate me to grab the Alexa developer's kit to put together a more suitable app, although the basic functionality will be the same.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »

Fireboard has Alexa skills now.  But your idea is cool.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »

It does? Amazing. I have an old Traeger which is currently under my own control (the original 3 way controller bought it ages ago). I can see another project coming on! :D

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »

Also check out Alexa Skills Kit.  Might be easy to set up something.
The only reason I knew about the fireboard alexa stuff was I was looking at getting the FB to supplement my tappeque. 
BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »

Also check out Alexa Skills Kit. 

I'll put that on the list after updating my Board Game Group forum software (only 6 years out of date) and rebuilding my ardunio controller for the Traeger (been running as a hot grill, bypassing any controller, for 2 years).

Since I started programming for a living, I find all sorts of ways to put off my hobby projects. Which is odd, because I do enjoy them, just not after a day staring at a screen. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up