Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offset vs. Vertical Smokers  (Read 1272 times)

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Offset vs. Vertical Smokers
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »

I am going to preface with I have no experience with stick burners. I never used one. I have the patience but at this stage in my life I just do not have the time to babysit a smoker hours on end. That said I had a Traeger BBQ07E (Lil Tex) and a Yoder YS640. I just sold the Traeger and bought the Pit Boss 5 Series Vertical Smoker, mainly for the real estate to cook jerky. I have no experience with vertical smokers or what people generally cook in them.

By offset I mean the barrel type smokers like the Traeger Texas and the like. Are there any advantages to one or the other that is not obvious to the uneducated? The only obvious thing I can see is you can hang sausage in a vertical and there just isn't as much height in an offset smoker to do the same. Is there anything about either one that gives it an advantage cooking certain foods?
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Offset vs. Vertical Smokers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »

You could probably get more larger meats like turkeys in the vertical than you could in most horizontal pellet grills.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »

Sounds like your question is mostly related to pellet fired versions of your topic. In that case, I'd say you pretty much touched on the main difference. More space for jerky and sausage. I would add a smaller footprint. As far as the horizontal barrels go, the drip tray act in a similar fashion to the steel plates on reverse flow offsets. They get hot, and the fat sizzles on them. Some people like that vaporized fat flavor. Others don't. Also the drip pan provides some radiant heat, so things may cook slightly faster on the barrel type.

As far as stick burners go, some people think the verticals draw better since it's a more natural flow for the heat and smoke to rise up instead of sideways. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:21:26 AM by Free Mr. Tony »

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »

After I asked the question I spent a few minutes Googling the topic. One message board (not pellet fired) got quite heated over which is better, biscuit test and all... It went from mildly entertaining to more annoying pretty quickly. In doing so I actually ran across the reverse flow smokers and had to figure out how those work too.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »

I had a Lang reverse flow for awhile. It cooked very even on the bottom shelf, which is what reverse flow are kind of known for over the traditional offsets. The top shelf because of the way the air was forced through was about 100 degrees hotter than the bottom.

I would like to try a higher end traditional offset. The only one of that type I've ever had was the cheap Lowe's variety.

I currently have a reverse flow vertical insulated cabinet. That thing is super easy on the charcoal, and cooks much faster than other indirect smokers I've used.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »

I had a home built vertical stick burner...  it was sort of offset, but not really.   Well, it was also a hybrid Gas/wood.   I had one chamber that wood went in, with it's own air inlet, that could be adjusted to allow more or less air in... the gas burner was under a 3/16" thick steel plate, the wood sat directly above that burner... the plate would get hot and insure the wood never would be in danger of staying lit ( no mater how much you choked off the air). This heat went up the back of the vertical chamber, but the cooking grates were never directly above that area, so the heat and smoke went upward... and circulated around a bit inside too... exhaust was at the top in the front....

So, my experience with vertical is...  the top is usually warmer than the bottom... but with something like the Copper Head, where the heat is clearly coming directly from the bottom and around the sides, this may be why in Bentley's testing it didn't seem to have this typical hotter on top bias...

The main advantage of a vertical, is it's easy to slide rack in and out and if it is a little hotter on top ( or even on the bottom ), it's very easy to shuffle the food around , just pull a rack out , reposition it, etc...

Usually on typical pellet grills they run hotter toward the smoke stack side... some apparently are very even across side to side, but on most I've owned, they have a slightly higher heat on one end... Not as easy to move cooking racks around, unless you have a rack system that came with the grill, or was a aftermarket system.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:51 PM »

Haven't used a vertical stick burner, but I have a 250 gal reverse flow offset.  Like mentioned above the, temps are very even side to side, but the top grate is about 60* hotter on my rig.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 08:03:37 AM »

probably the biggest disadvantage of a vertical design, is it really doesn't provide a reasonable way to 'grill' something.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »

probably the biggest disadvantage of a vertical design, is it really doesn't provide a reasonable way to 'grill' something.

Will find out soon with some chicken wings
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

WayneB

• Using less gas.
  • Ashburn, Va.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »

That is why you need both. One grill /smoker is very limiting, that's why I have 11 :)

Ross77

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »

I had a MES for a couple years. I didn’t like precutting ribs and packer briskets to fit.

I prefer having everything presented to me in a horizontal format at about waist height. I didn’t like managing the trays and having to bend down to access the food. I had the 30” model so maybe a larger unit would have been better.

I don’t do jerky or sausage but I could see how a vertical setup would be better in that case.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold
Pages: [1]   Go Up