Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermal Cover  (Read 1321 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Thermal Cover
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »

Now that Winter seems to be finished in the Midwest I'm debating if I need to remove my thermal blanket.  GMG recommends removing after a certain temp, but what would be the harm in leaving it on year round?  I know I should look under to make sure there aren't any rust spots or anything, but aside from that, I'm in IA so it can get 90s in the Summer.  Is there any risk to keeping it year round aside from maybe not being able to maintain a 150 when its hot?

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Thermal Cover
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »

Three things come to mind;

1/ Dampness = rust if the pit is not used often and/or left to the elements.

2/Heat damage. The outer surface may get too hot @ higher temperatures damaging the finish.

3/Weather damage to the cover itself, epically the sun.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »

I live in central Iowa and have the thermal blanket along with the cover. I use my pit at least once a week. Since the handle is the only thing that the blanket attaches to with screws, the other are just magnets, you should be able to look and see if you have any moisture. Mine sits on the west side of our house and under the roof overhang so it doesn't get a lot of abuse.  I plan on keeping mine on all year.

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »

I had the same thought - why not just keep it on.  Then I tried smoking salmon @ 150 when it was 80 degrees out... The pit could not stay low enough with the blanket on.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Jon515

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:48:57 PM »

I had the same thought - why not just keep it on.  Then I tried smoking salmon @ 150 when it was 80 degrees out... The pit could not stay low enough with the blanket on.
That makes sense to me and what I was wondering. Again this forum is great, thank you everyone for your replies, I'm still pretty new to this smoking thing and newer to pellet smokers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up