Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real world Daniel Boone temp swings?  (Read 1105 times)

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
Real world Daniel Boone temp swings?
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »

I’m curious what real world temp swings Daniel Boone owners get, for example at settings like 250 or 275? +/- 15? +/- 20? More? Less?

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Real world Daniel Boone temp swings?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »

Mine depends on wind and ambient temp.  I've seen it stay +/-5 on some days and about +15/-5 if it's windy.  I can dial it in with the wifi usually and it'll stay +/-3 if it's around 80 ambient temp and little or no wind.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:18:19 AM »

Are you talking left to right swings or just temp fluctuation as a whole. What do you have for the heat shield? I was having it from left to right and they sent me the latest heat shield. Pretty much within a couple degrees now.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »

I've run so many pellets through my DB that I've had to rebuild the drip pan trough due to burn-out. I've never concerned myself with temp swings, but I doubt they are any worse that what you would get from your kitchen oven. Try charting the temp swings there and you'll find they are pretty significant on electrics. Gas won't swing as much, but any applied and regulated heat source is going to have swings.

It's been said many a time, but learn your pit and take it from there. If your concern is good Q you'll have it nailed. If you are more concerned with tech geekery(don't know if that is a word or not, but as a retired tech geek I'll go with it) you can play all day long investing a bunch of money to get those swings down to a minimum. If after all that work you can see the least difference in the quality of the food I will be amazed and would attribute any improvement to the fact that doing all that geekery just got you familiar with your pit.

As a homebrewer there is a mantra to avoid stressing over the trivial. RDWHAHB, relax, don't worry have a home brew. Let's just say relax, don't worry, have some Q.

+1
Been cooking on a DB for 3 yrs never have checked the temp. But the food is good. I found my hot spots and use them during the cooks.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG
Pages: [1]   Go Up