Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicked Edge Knive Sharpening System  (Read 2158 times)

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
Wicked Edge Knive Sharpening System
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »

I mentioned in the other knife sharpening system thread that I was thinking about going with the Wicked Edge. I'm looking at the WE 120. The basic system is $375  ??? which is expensive enough but then you have to buy or build the base for it. WE cheapest base is $65. It comes with four different grit stones but if you want to buy the finer grit stones they are $70 each. That quickly adds up.

I'm thinking the Pro Pack II system might be a better way to go but that's $675. YIKES I'm usually a buy once cry once kind of guy but I'm having a hard time justifying a $675 knife sharpener.

What say you?

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
Re: Wicked Edge Knive Sharpening System
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »

I got pretty good at free hand sharpening 40 years ago but it takes a lot of time to develop the muscle memory. I just don’t want to spend that much time.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »

Smokey, I'll loan you a diamond stone KME if you want to sharpen a couple of knives with it.  It doesn't clamp  narrow blades, like fillet knives, very well and I don't have the new clamp for small blades, like for pen knives or paring knives.

It'll sharpen most knives with a flat bevel to an edge like a scalpel.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:27:56 PM »

You can buy a lot of knives for that price.  I am usually like you and when I have my mind set on something I usually want something that is close to the best available within a price range I can afford and am comfortable spending.  Knives and knife sharpeners just don't make that list for me.  I hope you find what you are looking for at the price you wish to spend.  I am sure that those who do take care of quality knives will help you as best they can.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Lantern

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »

The same thread got a bee in my bonnet as well. I am a buy once cry once person AND I typically TRY to stop myself from buying something that'll need(or I'll want) to upgrade to the point I should have bought something else.

After saying that.... I am currently saving to pick up the gen 3 pro system. I've ALWAYS been terrible at sharpening knives even though I love and use VERY good knives. I have knives that have so many different angles that the KO I use just can't quite give me the consistent sharpness I want. .................and full disclosure, I'm a bit of a gadget head.

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

Pmillen, thanks I really appreciate your offer. I'll consider it. I did research the KME system. The deluxe kit is $300. To me the drawback is having to constantly flip the knife over during sharpening. Although for half the money it might be worth it for the added minor inconvenience.

Lantern, I'm glad to see there is someone else as crazy as I am. I guess we've got some time. Both the Pro Pack II and Pro Pack III are on backorder on the Wicked Edge website.

mcmurder77

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »

I have been a wicked edge user for about 8 years now. I absolutely love my sharpened. I got the propack 1 when it first came out and then slowly got more stones/accessories over the years. I can not recommend this system enough for someone that is serious about sharpening. I do all of my knives, and even have a little side hustle to make some cash every now and hen sharpening other peoples knives/broadheads. I’m not up to speed on all of the different options they have out now. But if you can afford it get the one with the upgraded ball joints, get an angle cube and keep notes on your knives. I can touch up my EDV and get it tree topping hair in less than 5 min of I don’t let it get too beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcmurder77

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 01:35:04 PM »

If you have any specific questions or anything feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »

i got lucky and bought mine used. Used as in used 1 or 2 times. most of the stones were still in the packaging. It is a great sharpener. Buy it. It only hurts once.

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »

Thanks mcmurder77 and bproffer that's what I needed to hear.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 01:51:03 AM »

Before you make that final decision, take at least a peek at the Tormek stuff too. Looks like they make a special kitchen knife version as well as have a knife attachment for their woodworking sharpeners. I dabble a bit in woodworking and after hand sharpening two sets of chisels and a few lane blades, i’ve drooled over Tormek many times, but nvpever been ready to part with the cash.

This  all reminds me, I hacpve 2 or 3 chisels that need reworked because of knicks and my nice chef knife felt a little dull last time I used it  :(
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up